Inner Tube Slime. Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have had a slime inner tube puncture 3 times on my ride home it held until the 4th 1/2 mile from home when it wouldn’t re-seal.
I discovered the reason for the spate of punctures was the cheap tyres that had come with the bike had worn unevenly and in two spots the inner tube was touching the road. So I have no issues with Slime tubes. I’ve not noticed them deaden the ride unlike some tyres, so think of them as insurance, especially if your commute is at 4am!
How I construed your post was:
1) Have had experience of slime tubes failing to seal a puncture.
2) Wasn't their fault, though
3) Have "no issues" (which is what I quoted)
4) Think of them as insurance
So it cannot be misconstrued. In my experience Slime inner tubes work
All good. I read the OP as asking whether slime filled tubes were "any good" and for me there's a spectrum: good - OK/satisfactory - not good.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Ahh but what I had typed before the section you cherry picked clearly showed that they do work.

If you'd said "they do the job", it would have meant exactly the same thing as "These things are zarking ace mate. They are brilliant".

WHat I have noticed is that sometimes I have a flat when I take the bike out of the shed

I pump it up to -say - 60psi - and it stays there for ages
I put this down to the slime getting used up - or sliding down to the bottom of the tube overnight - so if there is a small hole at the top then the air will leak with no clime to stop it
Then I roll it out which spins the wheels and re-distributes the slime - then pump it up and go off riding for a few hours
which fixes the hole

I suspect I have a very small bit of thorn somewhere - just enough to create a tiny hole

OH - and in response to does it work

YES

that clear enough????

Oh - and on another point - other makes are available - mine is actually for off road vehicles due me not reading the web site properly - much cheaper and still works!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
All good. I read the OP as asking whether slime filled tubes were "any good" and for me there's a spectrum: good - OK/satisfactory - not good.
You obviously know your stuff when it comes to bikes and I 100% accept that the best option for puncture proofing is puncture resistant tubed tyres or a tubeless set up.

But at the moment, although I am not poor, it's pretty hard to sell the idea to my missus of spending yet another whack of dosh on more bike stuff when there are other financial priorities.

When I say I'm going to give "slime" a try, I'm not rejecting the advice of those who advocate tyres which cost £40 a pop. I'm simply going for the more affordable option.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
WHat I have noticed is that sometimes I have a flat when I take the bike out of the shed

I pump it up to -say - 60psi - and it stays there for ages

My rear tube is doing my head in.

Rock solid for a week and then flat as a pancake just as I am about to leave for work?

I've run it through a bowl of water twice and there were no bubbles (or even hints of bubbles).

I've put spit on the valve (Shrader) and there was no sign of leakage anywhere whatsoever.

I could get over it by sticking in a brand new tube (I have a couple of spares), but that would mean admitting defeat.

My rear tube is doing my head in.

Rock solid for a week and then flat as a pancake just as I am about to leave for work?

I've run it through a bowl of water twice and there were no bubbles (or even hints of bubbles).

I've put spit on the valve (Shrader) and there was no sign of leakage anywhere whatsoever.

I could get over it by sticking in a brand new tube (I have a couple of spares), but that would mean admitting defeat.
If I'm right (which happens sometimes) my similar problem is due to a tiny tiny spiky thing somewhere - but the hole seals before I can get it into the sink (shhhh - don't tell the wife)
When the weather gets warmer I will take the tyre off and look for it - apparently repairing it in the kitchen is not acceptable?????

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
There's always the option of tyre liners. see: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/in-praise-of-tyre-liners.230726/

The problem I have with slime if it doesn't work it just makes a big mess.
I've just fitted a set of those. Fiddly a F*** to fit if you want them to align with the business area of the tyre. That said, I used them in the 1990's in London and they worked for me apart from when I did a roadside repair. Spending 20 minutes trying to shove tape between a tube and tyre wall is not a great experience. Especially not in 1990's Harlesden.

That's why I have gone down the slime route as an alternative.

The other option is to buy tyres which cost more than my dad earned in a month and more than double our weekly family food budget.

I can only dream...

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I've just fitted a set of those. Fiddly a F*** to fit if you want them to align with the business area of the tyre. That said, I used them in the 1990's in London and they worked for me apart from when I did a roadside repair. Spending 20 minutes trying to shove tape between a tube and tyre wall is not a great experience. Especially not in 1990's Harlesden.

That's why I have gone down the slime route as an alternative.

The other option is to buy tyres which cost more than my dad earned in a month and more than double our weekly family food budget.

I can only dream...

I stuck the tyre liners to the tyre using double sided tape. I found I only had to do this in about 6 places round the edge. Once they were bedded in I found they did not really move.

Also, since I got hardly any punctures, I don't think I had to remove the tyre after that for about 2 years.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've just fitted a set of those. Fiddly a F*** to fit if you want them to align with the business area of the tyre.

I've used them and they are effective, albeit a pain to get in position. My method is to stick the liner in with double sided tape cut into short lengths. I peel the backing off, stick the first bit in, hold the liner in position, then peel the backing off the next bit and so on working right round the tyre. If the tyre and liner are both clean and you are careful you can get the liner to stay exactly where you want it. One improvement you can do, which I have "upgraded" to is to circumferentially slice open a scrap large volume inner tube and place it between the liner and the tube you want to hold air. That provides a barrier layer to stop the edges of the liner gradually rubbing the inner tube.
All the weight weenies will be calling their therapists at the thought of having this stuff inside your tyre, but on a commuter or general hack they do stop punctures and allow you to use up any cheap crappy old tyres you have around without fixing flats every five minutes,
P.S. Harlesden is just as violent now as it was in the 90's, some things never change!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I've used them and they are effective, albeit a pain to get in position.

Just over four weeks since I put slime in my rear tyre and lined the front tyre.

I've had two punctures on the back (which I know of) and both resulted in a loss of pressure. A quick zap with the pump and I was on my way again.

Meanwhile, I haven't had a front puncture since I fitted the lining tape.

Not conclusive by any means, but both methods seem to have their merits and I've gone all the way though a calendar month without having to carry out a roadside repair.

Cycling_Samurai

I've been on Gatorskins and until I got a bit of glass up in me tyre didn't have slime in em. The tyre was still gud, so I bought tubes with slime in em. I do notice the weight, probably not so much now definitely in the beginning. Have noticed the slime expelling during removal of the nozzle during inflation.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I've used them and they are effective, albeit a pain to get in position. My method is to stick the liner in with double sided tape cut into short lengths. I peel the backing off, stick the first bit in, hold the liner in position, then peel the backing off the next bit and so on working right round the tyre. If the tyre and liner are both clean and you are careful you can get the liner to stay exactly where you want it.

That is basically the method I used too. One thing I found also is the once they had bedded in they molded into the shape of the tyre so if you used them again - or had to remove them and put them back in the tyre - they just kind of stayed in the right place. Although it is not recommended to reuse them on a new tyre, I have and I did not find any problems (so far).

Last edited:
Top Bottom