Inner Tube Slime. Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I have to observe you are nothing but consistent, @Lovacott . Ask for advice. Get it. And then crack on.
Tubeless tyres another option, with 'slime'.
I would like to fit better tyres but the two I have are brand new (less than a month old). Next time I change out, I will go for something better.

I'm not going against advice anyway. Quite a few on here have said that slime is OK so I'll give it a try if you don't mind ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
I used Slime in my ebike with the standard tyres....i got a couple of flats but they do tend to go down slower. Guaranteed to stop punctures...no, but it helps IME. I seem to remember a point where it dawned on me, the slime i put in those tubes had effectively gone, i assume a bit is lost each time you puncture...so you're getting punctures without realising it and the slime is doing its thing.
I then fitted Marathons. I have had a couple of flats with them too.

CXRAndy

Guru
I use Orange endurance sealant for tubeless and inside inner tubes. This method almost eliminates on road stoppages. Protects against pinhole punctures from thorns, glass, flints, nails etc.

Venod

Eh up
Do you not find that tubeless sealant makes a godawful mess too when you have to delve in there? The only difference is the colour.

No, all the punctures I have had tubeless have sealed with little mess, I use Stans fluid, it was green stuff I used in tubes that sprayed out, I may just have been unlucky as it does seem to work for some.

Last edited:

spacecowboy831

I have used slime in mine. it seemed to do the job I had a puncture only found it when I went to change the tyre which was going bald. However I did suspect earlier. I was having to pump the tyre up every 4 days. It would never go completely flat just drop psi from 40 to 20 over 4 days.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I have used slime in mine. it seemed to do the job I had a puncture only found it when I went to change the tyre which was going bald. However I did suspect earlier. I was having to pump the tyre up every 4 days. It would never go completely flat just drop psi from 40 to 20 over 4 days.
What I'm trying to avoid is having to stop so many times on my commute to fix punctures. Most of my route is country lane with high banks either side and the only place I can do repairs is in muddy farm gates.

It's always thorns and they can be a bugger to get out in the dark. If slime can get me home, I can sort it then.

I've ordered a couple of bottles.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Talk about cherry picking a quote from a post!
No, old chap. I had scoured the thread trying to find anyone who, in answer to the question 'is slime in tubes any good' had said 'yes' (noone had). Then the OP dropped the threshold to 'OK' and your comment was the only one, the text of which might be interpreted by the OP as 'OK'.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
No, old chap. I had scoured the thread trying to find anyone who, in answer to the question 'is slime in tubes any good' had said 'yes' (noone had). Then the OP dropped the threshold to 'OK' and your comment was the only one, the text of which might be interpreted by the OP as 'OK'.
Things either work or they don't.

Snake oil doesn't work and I didn't want to buy a bottle of snake oil so I came on here to find out whether or not "slime" was snake oil.

If something does what it is supposed to do, it can be described as "excellent", "OK", "fit for purpose", "good", "does what it says on the tin" etc. etc.

If it doesn't work it could be described as "shite", "rubbish", "no good", "wouldn't recommend" etc. etc.

I received enough replies to convince me that it does work as intended and is not a bottle of snake oil.

I also received replies telling me to spend more than our weekly household food budget on expensive puncture resistant tyres.

All replies were 100% correct and I agree that expensive puncture resistant tyres are the best option.

But, for the time being, in my current circumstances "slime" is the route I am taking.

Sorry if that offends anybody.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What I'm trying to avoid is having to stop so many times on my commute to fix punctures. Most of my route is country lane with high banks either side and the only place I can do repairs is in muddy farm gates.

It's always thorns and they can be a bugger to get out in the dark. If slime can get me home, I can sort it then.

I've ordered a couple of bottles.
Similar to my commute I have just ordered some too

DRHysted

Guru
Ahh but what I had typed before the section you cherry picked clearly showed that they do work, and the bit afterwards clearly shows I use them. Cherry picking the sentence in the middle changes the emphasis of the post, pretty much how a politician would work.

So it cannot be misconstrued. In my experience Slime inner tubes work, I use them on all my bikes except the MTB which runs tubeless tyres.

Top Bottom