Inner Tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbriddy

Regular
I'm just starting out and was hoping someone could help me to select the correct inner tube (walked 5 miles with a puncture on Saturday).

I've searched this on the web and read the numbers from the wheel:

25-622 (700 x 250)
H-422

I've seen the many explanations of the numbers but they don't seem to look quite like the ones here.

Can anybody help me but the correct one?

Thanks

Tim Hall

25mmm is the width of the tyre, 700c is (sort of) the diameter of the wheel - 622 is what's called the bead seat diameter and is the One True Way of measuring tyre size, but most shops are more likely to understand 700c. The 25mm is the width of the tyre, but inner tubes tend to span a range of tyre widths, (rather like socks for shoe size 6-11) such as 18mm-25mm, so get one of them. An added complication is the valve type - Presta or Schraeder. It's more likely that you've got Presata valves, but these come in a range of lengths. Measure the old one.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ask for an inner (and a spare to carry and some patches) 622 18-25 with a valve the same as your other tyre/inner combo which, as @Tim Hall has said will be Presta (pointy, have to unscrew the tiny nut to inflate, 40mm length is likely to be enough but just measure the other one on the sound tyre, longer doesn't matter) or Schraeder (car valve type). A fiver buys it (Kenda, Michelin are likely makes) in your local bike shop.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Suggest you read this thread before taking above advice and going cheap, cheap:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/is-an-inner-tube-an-inner-tube.129546/
Maybe @Alexvs can say more. Use your LBS and they can sell you the other things you need ie besides just a tube (with advice) .
Everyone I'm sure has had different experiences with different brands of Inner tubes. My tube brand of preference would be Specialized others will disagree. Lifeline tubes from Wiggle have been a good budget option whereas Planet X own brand tubes haven't. Once again I'm sure others will agree/disagree.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Everyone I'm sure has had different experiences with different brands of Inner tubes. My tube brand of preference would be Specialized others will disagree. Lifeline tubes from Wiggle have been a good budget option whereas Planet X own brand tubes haven't. Once again I'm sure others will disagree.
I'm quite happy with the 5 for a tenner tubes from Halfords.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you buy multi packs of inner tubes, bear in mind that they do deteriorate over time, in my experience.
And if you need that many, either you're running a hire fleet, or you're giving them away to your mates, or you need to look at whether tyres with which your wheels are shod are fit for the riding you do (including the pressures you're riding at), or you're just serially unlucky or careless with your riding (ie of potholes, thorns and glass).

Top Bottom