Inner Tubes - confusedidiot.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardWHardwick

RichardWHardwick

This is a wind up, right?
I really don't have the time, or the personality, for wind ups. I could be accused of naivety, perhaps stupidity - I'm clever at other things. I had an inner tube that wouldn't fit, I couldn't get the tyre to fit around it properly, it was sticking out the side. When I compared it to other inner tubes I had, it was massive, when they are deflated and compared, and inflated and compared. I've chucked it now and it's sorted - another two I had are okay I think, so just one weird one.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The tubes should be put into the tyres, and the tyres fitted back on to the rim, before the tyre is inflated.
You can put enough air in beforehand that the tube is round rather than flat, but that's all, and even then you may have to let some air out in order to get the second side of the tyre back on the rim.

Tyres will get enormous if inflated outside the tyre. It has been a party game at cycling club annual dinners - everyone puts a pumpful of air in, then passes it on, and the person who makes the tube explode wins the booby prize. How big depend on how even the thickness of the tube rubber is, but you can be talking 15 feet round and 6" thick.

Tyres will get enormous if inflated outside the tyre. It has been a party game at cycling club annual dinners - everyone puts a pumpful of air in, then passes it on, and the person who makes the tube explode wins the booby prize. How big depend on how even the thickness of the tube rubber is, but you can be talking 15 feet round and 6" thick.

Ha ha. I've never done that but will remember it for my next cycle party, if ever.

Top Bottom