Inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Always Cross

Veteran
Hi everyone this is my first post for a long time. Here goes today I got bought a 1950's ish Rudge it has a Sturmey Archer 4 speed dynamo hub on the back. The tyres look good but the inner tube valves look like they might need replacing soon. My question is the valves are really strange looking in between presta valves and car tyre valves what are these called and can you still buy them. The dynamo lights don't work so can I just try changing the bulbs if so what type. There are oil holes and caps on the hub and the bottom bracket will 3 in 1 oil do for them. The bike looks in good condition and has all the head badges and the original bako light pump that seems to work when I put my finger over the end. It was going to be put in a skip but someone rescued it as he couldn't bare to see it get binned and I got it off him. I'VE GOT A NEW BIKE DOESN'T IT FEEL GOOD TO SAY THAT.

BrynCP

Über Member

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The hub... which oil... it's controversial but as I understand it, 3in 1 will do, 10w40 would be better and EP gear oil even better.

I'd expect the bottom bracket cap is a grease port rather than an oil cap but I could be wrong.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think modern dynamo hubs use a 2.4W front light, 0.6W rear light, both 6V but I don't remember if SAdynamo hubs nneed anything else. The blown bulbs might have markings showing what they are.

robsa

Über Member
I use atf in my 1950 rudge bottom bracket and sa hub but the bottom bracket due stripping out and regreasing.
You can get the little bit of rubber tube to overhaul the tyre valves in cheapo 99p puncture repair kits

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Don't use 3 in 1 oil in a Sturmey Hub. Over time it causes internal corrosion. I use engine oil, idially 30 S.A.E. monograde but normal multigrade works fine.

Bulbs for Sturmey lighting system a 6V x 0.25A front and 6v x 0.04A rear.

Woods valve inner tubes are easily available from Ebay.

Top Bottom