Inner Tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ihatehills

@mjray or anyone else that might know, is there a point to the different valve stem styles? The first time that I'd come across the" all metal threaded the entire length" sort was on my new bike and my first impression was that it would play havoc with seal on my pump, it hasn't been a problem but I was curious to know the reason for the difference.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
As a rule I avoid Halfords if I can but the last time I got inner tubes they were handy and it looks like its the same this time .......

vickster

Legendary Member
I use Halfords as you can usually get them at 3 for a tenner or better less any british cycling or CTC member discount they are great quality and you can mix and match if you have more than one bike.
Halfords often have at 5 for a tenner, £9 with BC membership

If you want branded, continental over Schwalbe or specialized for me

Avoid wilkinson imo, never used one successfully!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Went for a couple of Continentals in the end. £5.98 for the two from Halfords. Hoping I don't have to use them any time soon ^_^
Thanks for all of the input :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
- and why do some presta valves have a threaded stem and others not?

Good question, I don't really know, but the non-threaded must be less expensive to manufacture. I do know that the threaded type hold the valve firmly in place with the locking nut.
filename=presta-schraeder.PNG

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Good question, I don't really know, but the non-threaded must be less expensive to manufacture. I do know that the threaded type hold the valve firmly in place with the locking nut.
I prefer the non-threaded. No need to hold the valve firmly in place. If I have to use the threaded sort I dispense with the locknut - never caused a problem.

GuyBoden

Guru
I prefer the non-threaded. No need to hold the valve firmly in place. If I have to use the threaded sort I dispense with the locknut - never caused a problem.

Yes, I use the unthreaded type. I'd guess that the cheaper made threaded type presta valve would break easier, because there's less metal.

I'm using these Decathlon £2.50 for two 700x18/23 unthreaded presta type.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700x18-23-bike-inner-tubes-twin-pack-presta-valve-id_8243100.html

Top Bottom