Inner Tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
My CX bike has an inner tube of 700x35. I have quite a few good inner tubes of 700x23. Would it be OK to use those on the CX?

I’ve had a couple of punctures on the CX tubes and although I am going to repair them, I always feel a bit more happier if the spare tube I am carrying is a new one and not one that i have tried to patch? Not quite sure why i think that as any tube i fix, i always leave inflated in the shed to see if it goes down again!

13 rider

Guru
Unfortunately the 23mm are not suitable for cx . 23mm are designed to inflate in 23mm tyres and it's too big of a jump to 35mm . If you could inflate them big enough without them going bang they would be at a high pressure so would give you an uncomfortable ride

I think you would probably get away with it. Try it and see! (With a spare tube at hand, just in case it goes bang, but I don't think it will. ) If you inflate a tube outside of the tyre, it expands quite considerably. I don't see how this would affect the pressure. The only difference would be that the tube walls would be thinner as they stretch, which might make punctures more dramatic.

Sharky

Guru
I tried to help a family friend who had a "shopping Bike" with big tyres. Used one of my own inners (23mm), but it popped before she got over the car park.

If I puncture out on the road, I always try and repair and put the repaired on back on the bike. The new spare, I like to keep in my pocket, knowing that it's a good'un, should I puncture again.

My CX bike has an inner tube of 700x35. I have quite a few good inner tubes of 700x23. Would it be OK to use those on the CX?

I’ve had a couple of punctures on the CX tubes and although I am going to repair them, I always feel a bit more happier if the spare tube I am carrying is a new one and not one that i have tried to patch? Not quite sure why i think that as any tube i fix, i always leave inflated in the shed to see if it goes down again!
Don't tubes normally have a range of tyre sizes, like:
700 × 28–37mm – for road, cyclocross, gravel and hybrid bikes with 700c wheels and 28 to 37mm tyres.
For the sake of a few quid I would stick to suggested match. I have got loads of 23/25mm spare tubes but won't use them on 32 and 38mm gravel tyres.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I tried to help a family friend who had a "shopping Bike" with big tyres. Used one of my own inners (23mm), but it popped before she got over the car park.

If I puncture out on the road, I always try and repair and put the repaired on back on the bike. The new spare, I like to keep in my pocket, knowing that it's a good'un, should I puncture again.
That’s exactly what I do, tube patched and in tyre, new tube in saddlebag. However, what on earth do these images mean on the back of the box mean?

Channelling Steve Austin to show max psi lol

Last edited:

Cycling_Samurai

Better to get the appropriate size instead of risking a flat.

classic33

Leg End Member
That’s exactly what I do, tube patched and in tyre, new tube in saddlebag. However, what on earth do these images mean on the back of the box mean? View attachment 577653

Top Left, Insert moving in one direction
Top Right, Outer diameter of tyre matches with outer diameter of inner tube for correct size
Bottom Left, Tyre isn't seated correctly
Bottom Right, Pressure required to seat the tyre(incorrect, 1 bar equals 14.5psi), check it has seated, correctly

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That’s exactly what I do, tube patched and in tyre, new tube in saddlebag. However, what on earth do these images mean on the back of the box mean? View attachment 577653

First one is putting tube in tyre
Second one is that width of inner tube should match width of tyre
Third one is check both beads seated in rim
Fourth is check beads are seated properly after putting a bit of pressure in inner tube.

Top Bottom