Insect Repellent - Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I am the original "meals on wheels" when horse flies or gnats are around. :biggrin:

The blood sucking swine's must clap there hands in delight and pin there little bibs on when they see me coming. ;)

With the pending LeJOG trip I need to get stocked up for when we cross the border into midge land.

Any recommendations?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
AlanW said:
I am the original "meals on wheels" when horse flies or gnats are around. :thumbsdown:

The blood sucking swine's must clap there hands in delight and pin there little bibs on when they see me coming. :angry:

With the pending LeJOG trip I need to get stocked up for when we cross the border into midge land.

Any recommendations?

Avon's Skin so Soft is supposed to be good, esp if you don't like covering yourself in DEET.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Deet: accept no substitute! But don't put it in your skin, just spray it on your clothes: collars and cuffs.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Don't know if you get it in the UK, but everyone in South Africa is using a brand called Tabard. It works really well

shrew

+deet is very effective, looking n Hiking/ camping stores for it, be warned though, it has an adverse effect on some matirials, i used to keep mine in a seperate wash bag when i camped, one day it leaked and melted part of the bag.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
moggsy100 said:
gotta be deet all the way.. get jungle formula with the highest deet content you can find.. except no other substitutes...

Absolutely. Jungle Formula with the hard stuff. Don't put a JF soaked finger on a plastic-bodied camera though.....it leaves a perfect fingerprint. Lord knows what it does to your skin:evil:

Fiona N

Veteran
Ben Lovejoy said:
Deet: accept no substitute! But don't put it in your skin, just spray it on your clothes: collars and cuffs.

Do a test first on an out of sight bit - one lot of DEET spray I got leaked in the rucksac, dissolved the plastic of a bag, map coating and a Suunto compass and welded the lot onto my Swiss army knife :blush:

Since then I've treated it with respect when using anywhere near my skin or synthetics

Reading the above posts (belatedly) seems we're all agreed on this

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Fiona N said:
Reading the above posts (belatedly) seems we're all agreed on this
Agreement on CC - blimey! :blush:

But yes, use on clothing only and sparingly. In fact, I'm fairly sure that you could just hold a sealed can up at the mozzies with a threatening look.

Goldfang

How about this? Try taking Brewers yeast tablets from a health food shop for a few days before the event, a mate who worked in west africa with VSO swore by this. Apparently does something to your body odour that puts midgies off, does not work for everybody, and medical opinion says that it is a load of nonsense. who knows?

Top Bottom