Inserting a quote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When you click the speech bubble button, the editor correctly creates a pair of [quote][/quote] tags in your message. But then it places the cursor to the right of this tag pair, instead of between them which is obviously what you want. I am using IE8 and have the smart editor turned off.

Shaun

Founder
I've mentioned this to the developers but it seems there is nothing they can do about it, so you'll simply have to click between the tags or use your cursor keys to hop back a bit.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've mentioned this to the developers but it seems there is nothing they can do about it, so you'll simply have to click between the tags or use your cursor keys to hop back a bit.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Or write the text first, then highlight it and click the quote button

OP
OP

661-Pete

Normally, I use the 'quote' button when I have just visited a document or web page elsewhere (not part of this forum, that is), copied some text from there, and want to paste it as a 'quote' in a post on this forum.

Fair enough? It happens often enough, surely! Many other forummers do exactly the same.

So, if I paste that text with ctrl/V and then go to the speech bubble button, I first have to select what I have just pasted, by dragging with the mouse or using the shift key (triple-clicking with the mouse DOES NOT WORK - it selects the entire post). OK: so this is doable. It's just a nuisance, that's all. And it was so much easier under the old vBulletin forum. There, all I had to do was click the bubble, then crtl/V. Two actions!

Shaun, I'm sorry to have to say this, but the more I play with this new forum the more I find things wrong with it. I just don't like it. I much appreciate the enormous amount of hard work you must have put into building this thing up. Don't I just know the feeling! Remember, I too am in the software business (albeit a very different branch - embedded). I also have had the experience of spending months or even years working a project up to what I think is perfection, only to have my effort rubbished by the client on first demonstration. Yes I've been there. It happens often enough. :sad:

If I were to start a long list of all my gripes with the new forum (some of which have already brought up by others anyway), I would rightly and justly be accused of being a whinger, a party-pooper, of putting up only negative feedback. I have no wish to do that. I am trying - I am really trying, Shaun - to think of something really positive about all the new features you've worked so hard on. I'm finding it difficult. Maybe I'm just one of those who doesn't use the added value which you've provided.

So what do I say next? Would it be best if I (and perhaps others who feel like I do) just backed off a bit, whilst you work out the things on your TO DO list? You've asked for feedback, but I feel some of the feedback is not really welcome to you.

Top Bottom