Inside the mind of Dave Brailsford

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by User, 13 Jul 2012.

1. User

User Guest

2. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

interesting stuff
    if this graph is genuine
    http://www.cyclesportmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DBgraphhires.jpg
    then it's a puzzle to me. And to Chris Froome.

3. dellzeqq

it seems to be saying just that

4. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

"Then there was ‘Pissgate’, wasn’t there… Phew. That was interesting.”

Duh?

5. thom

thom ____

Was that before or after they found out he was suffering from Bilharzia ?

6. thom

thom ____

It took them a while to diagnose it as the cause of lethargy and training problems that he had. He suffered again this year. I think that before the Vuelta, Sky weren't intending to renew his contract. So there is a good chance that graph was made with data that doesn't represent his healthy performance level.

7. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Exactly. If you know Froome's history it's pretty easy to see what was going on here - with hindsight. Brailsford thought he was dealing with someone who was never going to realise the early potential that has been spotted (by Shane Sutton, incidentally), whereas he was actually looking at someone suffering from the debilitating effects of an as-yet undiagnosed and certainly not yet treated illness from which he would recover. I am sure if you looked at DB's equivalent graph a year later it would look rather different. Overall, his approach looks like common sense, really.

8. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Not entirely.
    "This graph is our approximation of Brailsford's rider analysis"

I found it interesting that Brailsford basically uses an amateur's labour of love http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/start.asp as his method for keeping on top of who's doing what.

9. beastie

beastie Veteran

The template is one used by Brailsford, but IIRC the riders plotted were by the journalist.

10. dellzeqq

that's kind of a relief.

11. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I think it's that the journo just tried to remember approximately where the riders were on the chart Brailsford showed him, rather than the journo calculating the places using Brailsford's method.

12. johnr

johnr Über Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice