Insignificant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Scientists estimate that there are approximately two hundred trillion stars in the universe, most with their own group of planets or orbiting them.

If you had a telescope powerful enough to view them all and focused on each star for only 5 seconds, before moving onto the next without ever stopping for a break, it would take you 32 million years to complete the task! :eek:

I’m feeling a little insignificant.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Time to set up a gofundme for that then...

Seevio

Guru
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some 'scientist' ( or maybe he was a philosopher) once said to me in a pub that we are ( I think he meant earth not individual humans, but not too sure) simply as significant as a cell in a human body.🤔

Last edited:

carpiste

Guru
Scientists estimate that there are approximately two hundred trillion stars in the universe, most with their own group of planets or orbiting them.
If you had a telescope powerful enough to view them all and focused on each star for only 5 seconds, before moving onto the next without ever stopping for a break, it would take you 32 million years to complete the task! :eek:
I’m feeling a little insignificant.
I`m sorry but I`d hand in my notice and report my employer to the health and safety exec! Imagine a day without a toilet break, let alone 32 million years! 😄

I remember many years ago on a trip over to France with some mates looking up into the heavens at a zillion stars ( approx) and I remember feeling so small and we discussed it in our drunken way ( we were 17 and it was France :rolleyes: )
To this day I still look up to the skies on a clear night and I still feel incredibly small. It`s a kind of home truth I think.

davidphilips

Veteran
Instead of taking 32 million years to look at the two hundred trillion stars in the universe if man kind could understand how to use the higher dimensions then some one could just look at them all at the same time or better still to save time look at them all yesterday?

Really dont think man kind will ever be able to understand time or space and our lives are so short compared to eternity it does make us feel insignificant.

Chief Broom

Veteran
When I Heard The Learned Astronomer

When I heard the learned astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and
measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wandered off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,