Insomnia just happens///

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why couldn't I get to sleep last night? (Normal early night for 6.00am start today too :wacko:).

Gave up at 1.00am and went downstairs, but couldn't settle on the sofa either. Ate 2 cheese baps at 3.00pm as my stomach was telling me it was breakfast time. 'Watched' bits of half a dozen predicatable films on tv. Still didn't feel sleepy.

Time to get some work done - NOW I feel like a kip!

Yeah it's shoot, isn't it? I hope you sleep tonight.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
I expect I will catch up tonight, when I finish work at 10pm - long day today. Not operating machinery other than a computer, though ... and I'm always wide awake cycling.

Just hate and loathe sleepless nights. Half the time, I have no idea what causes them: when I was younger, it used to be exams - at least don't have those anymore.

It's just knowing that I'm going to feel rubbish the next day that gets me down.

I can never decide whether it's best to stay in bed and keep trying to sleep or get up and do something mildly undemanding like watching tele. One must be better than the other surely?

:wacko:

col

Legendary Member
I found sunday or monday nights were when it happened to me,went through a period of no sleep on a couple of occasions,I was told to get up and have a hot drink,preferebly milky,or tea would do,and read,the theory being your eyes would get tired,then help you nod off.Didnt work for me,but might for you.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
I get too engrossed when I read to fall asleep, Col. The drink sounds nice though, and I'm always hungrier when I can't sleep too.

Reading makes time pass quickly though. Better than watching the digits change on the bedside clock. I used to find listening to the radio could make me nod off, but had to use earphones so I didn't keep Mrs B awake. Gave it up after pulling my radio off the bedside table and onto the floor on more than one occasion!

col

Legendary Member
Its a tough one isnt it?i resorted a couple of times ,to laying on the settee and having the tv on ,but i took the other alarm clock downstairs with me,just in case i nodded off,i did sometimes.

Blue

Legendary Member
I always fall asleep quickly but struggle to get back over if I wake in the night. Over the years I found that getting up for a while is best - but doesn't always work. :wacko:

domtyler

Über Member
When I was younger I used to make a really loaded joint, that never failed to do its magic. Nowadays I just have to tough these periods out. You may have caught a bug and have a slight temperature, I always have a sleepless night just before I come down with a cold. Also a big change in air pressure can trigger a sleepless night. It's normally due to something that you are worried about though, try and get up, work out what it is, decide what you are going to do about the next day and write it down as a plan, I used to get my missus to do this all the time and it almost always worked on her to settle her down.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Dom - what if the thing I'm worried about is... not sleeping? :wacko:

Good idea though - I keep a notepad by the bed because I find if I don't write stuff down, I lie awake thinking about it, whereas once I've written it down, I can relax. Funniest are the ones I write in the middle of the night without putting the bedside light on. Trying to decipher the scrawl next morning - assuming it hasn't gone off the edge of the notepad - is a hoot!

domtyler

Über Member
beanzontoast said:
Dom - what if the thing I'm worried about is... not sleeping? :wacko:

Good idea though - I keep a notepad by the bed because I find if I don't write stuff down, I lie awake thinking about it, whereas once I've written it down, I can relax. Funniest are the ones I write in the middle of the night without putting the bedside light on. Trying to decipher the scrawl next morning - assuming it hasn't gone off the edge of the notepad - is a hoot!

Good point, the only thing that would work is deciding to take the day off, then double-crossing yourself and going in anyway! Notice that this never happens when you just have a day of relaxation planned for the next day. If you can manage to trick yourself then you have it sussed, I don't think I've managed it yet! :smile:

Top Bottom