Insomnia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Drink only decaff tea and coffee after 6 pm.

Have a bath or shower and go to bed early with a good book to distract your mind.

Turn out the lights and systematically relax every muscle in your body starting with your feet and finishing with your jaw. Push your body into the mattress.

Works for me.

Watching TV or goofing of on t'internet usually make it more difficult for me to go to sleep.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rigid Raider said:
Have a bath or shower and go to bed early with a good book to distract your mind.

I reccommend Dr Bruce Trigger's "History of Archaeological Theory". Enough to send anyone to sleep....

domtyler

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
Drink only decaff tea and coffee after 6 pm.

Turn out the lights and systematically relax every muscle in your body starting with your feet and finishing with your jaw. Push your body into the mattress.

Works for me.

I will go one step further and recommend drinking almost nothing in the last few hours before bed. Just before bed though have a milky drink as the tryptophan in it is a well known sleep aid. Having an almost empty bladder will prevent waking because of needing a pee and also the slow to digest proteins in the milk (casein I think) will help to stop any hunger feelings.

Failing that, just roll another joint. :wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
Bruce Trigger?? :thumbsup: :smile: You jest, surely...

No, no, I believe that is his name.. It's certainly the most intersting part of the whole book.

Yes Rigid, lettuce contains small amounts of Laudanum I believe, and the effect of eating too much is indeed soporific. I've seen it reccomended to have a lettuce sandwich before bed.

I sleep with radio 4 on, quietly. Then if I do wake up, having it (or actually for most of the might, the World Service) on distracts me from thinking to much about the things that keep me awake.

Noodley

I also sometimes find it difficult to sleep.

I have noticed that when I go for a ride late at night (usually an easy 50km or so), followed by a quick shower and then to bed results in me sleeping no bother. It's not because I am exhausted as an easy 50km ride does not tire me, but I reckon it is because my brain is "empty" and relaxed. I am not doing this at this time of year, but it is only a few weeks until I shall start again - thankfully.

One of the "problems" for me not being able to sleep is the "busy-ness" of my brain - which is not helped by television programmes which tend to jump about between camera angles, etc. And there are even programmes which have jumping angles, split screens, writing scrolling across the bottom of the screen, etc. Brain overload.

I suppose the same could be said about forums, if I am contributing to several threads or there is a particularly "busy" thread.

stevenb

I am really struggling for sleep.
I havent slept properly for 8 days now......;)
Had things on my mind.
Last time I had serious sleep deprivation I was so ill I lost 7 weeks off work and had very strong tablets.
It took me over a month to recover after the 7 weeks off.
I cant get comfortable at night for some reason.
I went out today in a bid to make me tired....but my body is pretty fit so hasn't really done anything.....although I'm hoping I will get a good nights kip tonight.

Top Bottom