Inspecting forks - replacing forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The bike will be 7 years old this November and its covered around 15,000 miles. There may have been a cable protection sleeve, but I can't remember. I do all the servicing myself.

Its a £1000 bike, bought on c2w scheme so its not like it has any value left. I might just have to buy another bike, but I will have a wait as there appears to be no stock in the UK.

So it hasn’t covered many miles at all. That fault really shouldn’t be surfacing.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It is not crap design if the cable liners are used. From the factory it would have had a liner in there, so at some point someone has removed it.
I'd argue the contrary as the cable run clearly cuts a line across the space occupied by the steerer tube, so even if a liner is used the only mechanism preventing the damage that's occurred in this case is the liner physically separating the two parts as its squashed between them; causing needless friction on both the steerer tube and cable and also providing another potential area for damage to occur should the liner be removed or fail.

All massive drawbacks in return for next to zero arguable benefit and hence a terrible design IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom