Inspiration required for potential new bicycle (Update: case closed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello team

So, I have a few bikes already, not gonna lie... But there is always potential for an addition to the stable. I fancy a new ‘racy all rounder’ road bike. I have two benchmarks and require your help in expanding the candidate list. I have some key requirements that I have listed below for your perusal. There may be some wiggle room on budget and indeed on some aspects of the listed requirements but let’s see where we get to. Thanks in advance for the valued insight.

The budget: let’s say 3k for starters
The Frame material: carbon
The groupset: really this needs to be Shimano and 105 absolute minimum although ideally Ultegra and in the ideal scenario, Di2 (I know I said 3 grand but did also say flexible). SRAM eTap considered. No Campag.
The gearing ratios: standard compact 34-50 but mid compact 36-52 considered under extreme circumstances, anything from 11-28 up to 11-32 ish on the back is ok.
The riding conditions: flattish with a low risk of short not overly steep climbs, likely up to 100 miles but typically 20-70 mile rides on tarmac. This won’t be going anywhere near gravel, I have other weapons in the arsenal for such encounters. I say tarmac but some of the lanes around here are very agricultural and I would really like the option to run 32mm tyres and 28mm absolute min.
The brakes: hydraulic disc
The axels: through and not QR
The sub genre: all round fastish road bike, not aero road and not lightweight climbing bike specific

The 2 benchmarks bikes I have in mind thus far:
Giant TCR Advanced Pro
Cannondale SuperSix evo

I have done quite a bit of reading and digging around, looked into Orro, checked out some of those Orbeas online, thought long and hard about Planet X pro carbon, toyed with Canyon but have heard some tales about frame issues in recent years and dunno how brexit has affected availability of these. Treks are an option but dunno really, Madone not right too aero so guess the Damone CF maybe is their all rounder as Emonda is the climber, I think?

please give me your ideas?

TIA

edit to add later today I am planning to go to my local Giant store and brand new Specialized concept store which is handily about a 2 min walk from the Giant one! I have a Propel and a Defy already and am drawn to the TCR but part of me fancies a change. I had a SuperSix for years and loved it but the frame is knackered and the new ones cost a bomb. Would like a tarmac sl7 but it’s mega bucks

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah I am considering just getting a frame set and building it to my own spec but this option is secondary at least for now. No to Boardman and Decathlon, I’m afraid, I know they are excellent VFM and so forth but not really what I am after and I really don’t like the more recent Boardman decals/logo. Van Rysel don’t push my buttons either, sorry but thx for the suggestions.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough, I wouldn’t spend 3k on one either :laugh: (the decal wouldn’t put me off though)

(nor would I spend that on Cannondale, Giant, Trek and especially not Specialized :laugh: or carbon :laugh:)

I don’t think Brexit is too much of an issue with Canyon but you’d be buying blind and they have long waits potentially

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
not 3 k but someone at work has had a titanium planet x and its droolworthy but its sram if thats an issue ?

Top Bottom