Installing Ubuntu is giving me a headache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
It shouldn't be this hard...

Samsung n150 netbook. Ubuntu 12.04 on USB boot created by Pendrive.

Boot to USB and select "Install from USB". Shell OS opens and I configure wireless and kick off a side by side install. Netbook starts the install and then reboots, back to the USB boot menu. Can't get it to go further than that no matter what I do.

Any ideas? I've probably missed something obvious.

Do you think the install finished? Does it boot to the boot loader if you remove the USB drive?

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Do you think the install finished? Does it boot to the boot loader if you remove the USB drive?

No, I cant imagine that it has installed. The time between the install starting and the reboot is 1-2mins max. If I boot "normally" (sans USB device plugged in), goes straight to Windows 7, nothing else comes up.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Update for those that care: plumbed the netbook via cat5 to the router this morning an installed Ubuntu via the Windows Installer from the Ubuntu website. First time, easy and simple. No idea why the USB installer didnt work, worked fine last time I used it.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I switched to Ubuntu 4 years ago. There is only odd stuff I need windows for and use a VM for that (virtualbox) things like the garmin usb connection for a watch and some packages shipped from the open university.

sabian92

Über Member
Ubuntu 12.04 is decent, got it on my netbook (dual booting though, have Windows 7 as I need Office for college).

Considering it's free, I don't know why more computers don't ship with it. It'd lower the cost of them significantly as you don't have to pay for a Windows licence in with the cost of the PC.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
[QUOTE 2072241, member: 259"]Well it's useful for me! I'm going to install it on the very same notebook that you have - so thanks! :smile::thumbsup:[/quote]

Ha, excellent! Yeah, go with the "Windows Installer" from the Ubuntu site. really really easy.

Milo

Guru
Be careful with hard reboots as IIRC the windows installer puts Ubuntu on a virtual drive sort of arrangement and it is prone to corruption. It really is best to install it onto a proper partition if you can to be honest. The reason for it not installing properly from the usb stick could well be that the installer files were corrupted somehow. Furthermore I had problems getting it to install with a flash drive I had that was in the NTFS file system formatting the usb stick to fat32 solved the problem for me.

sabian92

Über Member
Plus anybody who installs ubuntu under a dual boot arrangement... please google how to do it first. Deleting the partition will only corrupt your MBR and render your computer shagged :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been using Ubuntu for about 4 years and Its been very good, I'm still on 10.04. I've looked at Mint as a replacement for Ubuntu but I've run into some problems with the install, I've got nvidia graphics and I ran into driver problems on the first install, solved that and installed Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, it worked very nicely but I had some stability and boot issues so I'm back on 10.04, when I've got more time I'm planning to install Mint with the mate desktop and see how that goes.

Manonabike

Über Member
I moved to Ubuntu just over a year ago and since then all my computers are running Ubuntu (dual boot) in case I ever need something from windows.

Some people might have read my thread about me looking for a laptop for my daughter..... well as it happens I inherited the old laptop which was running like an old donkey :laugh: Looking in my external drive I found a backup I made of the laptop when it was nearly new.... good Acronis never lets me down ^_^ so I recovered the backup + some cleaning of the fan etc the laptop is working much much better.

As I type, a version of ubuntu 10.10 with all the bits and pieces I have added since last year is being installed to the laptop now..... good old Remastersys Backup came to the rescue here as I can't be bothered installing and configuring ubuntu as it's in my other computers.

I should try the new version at some point but for the now eveything I need works very well with 10.10

For those about to install Ubuntu for the first time in a dual boot configuration I found that it is best to repartition your drive and then put "/", "home" in their own partition.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
There's a garmin plugin for linux. I can't post the link at the moment,but google should find it.
Cheers. I use the garmin pluigin for the USB connect 705 device but for the bluetooth watch I've not had any success. TBH the bluetooth garmin stuff is crap under windoze vista anyway. Mrs Gere has to reinstall drivers on a regular basis on her machine. We've not figured out why and lost interest in it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been using Ubuntu for about 4 years and Its been very good, I'm still on 10.04. I've looked at Mint as a replacement for Ubuntu but I've run into some problems with the install, I've got nvidia graphics and I ran into driver problems on the first install, solved that and installed Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, it worked very nicely but I had some stability and boot issues so I'm back on 10.04, when I've got more time I'm planning to install Mint with the mate desktop and see how that goes.

A quick update, I tried Mint with the Mate desk top but had problems with that, and went back to Ubuntu 10.04 then upgraded to 12.04, I spent ten minutes with the unity desktop and decided I wanted something else, I tried several and have settled on the Lubuntu Desktop, its working very well, very fast, I've got some minor teething troubles but nothing serious, things I can live with till I figure them out.

Top Bottom