Installing Ubuntu is giving me a headache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I love Linuxmint:becool:

I thought it was great to, I just couldn't persuade it to play nice on my computer, my computer is just over three years old and has an old graphics card with Nvidia drivers, I strongly suspect the problems stemmed from the graphics set up.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
All the problems I've had with computers over the last five years Nvidia has caused most of them.

We still have to have Windose on the main desktop with Mrs B doing a media degree, but Microsoft gives me a headache

D

Deleted member 1258

All the problems I've had with computers over the last five years Nvidia has caused most of them.

We still have to have Windose on the main desktop with Mrs B doing a media degree, but Microsoft gives me a headache

Since I upgraded I've left the graphics alone, theres an upgrade available but I'm leaving it alone in case it causes me grief.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I use Xubuntu as I couldn't get on with Unity either. I'm still running a dual boot machine at the mo though until I can persuade the missus to move across.

sabian92

Über Member
MBR can be fixed :smile: but will involve a windows disk, though I guess theres a linuxy way

I'm not sure there is a Linux based way, or at least I haven't found one.

Of course, I have a problem now with "BOOTMGR NOT FOUND". Oh joy. Can boot into 7 but not install Ubuntu 12.04. ARGH!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm not sure there is a Linux based way, or at least I haven't found one.

Of course, I have a problem now with "BOOTMGR NOT FOUND". Oh joy. Can boot into 7 but not install Ubuntu 12.04. ARGH!
I assume in Linux (if you had it working but it sounds like it may be too late for that) you could set the grub.cfg to boot to Windows by default with a wait time of 0 seconds?

D

Deleted member 1258

I assume in Linux (if you had it working but it sounds like it may be too late for that) you could set the grub.cfg to boot to Windows by default with a wait time of 0 seconds?

On a computer thats just running Ubuntu this application will normally fix most boot problems, I've even run this from the installation disc to fix a non starting computer.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

sabian92

Über Member

I don't unfortunately. I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 but the memory stick came out and failed. I rebooted back into Windows, ran EasyBCD (An mbr tool), and tried to reinstall but it said "bootmgr not found".

Pain in the arse....

Top Bottom