Insurance Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
DaleB said:
What does everyone make of this from Evans Cycles as i'm thinking of getting the full cover tomorrow?

:smile:

it just quote me £553 (sic) per year to cover £4k worht of bikes, or £201 for £2k

I get the same for free with my household policy - that makes evans ver expensive

DaleB

PK99 said:
it just quote me £553 (sic) per year to cover £4k worht of bikes, or £201 for £2k

I get the same for free with my household policy - that makes evans ver expensive

Do you get liability on your household insurance?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The average cost of a bike insured with Cycleguard is £800, though it can go up to a staggering £7,000.

£7K staggering?? There are far more expensive bikes out there, why if you really want to you can spend at least three as much on a single bicycle... :smile:

GFamily

Über Member
DaleB said:
Do you get liability on your household insurance?

The well known policies (of the sort provided by More Than & Direct Line) include Liability cover as part of their Contents Cover. But always check your own policy documents.

GFamily

Über Member
4F said:
I have just changed my house and contents to insurance to Direct Line and they cover cycle's up to £ 1000 both at and away from the house.

If you wanted "Away from home" cover for cycles, you will have bought it as an optional extra. It'll be useful to know how much it cost.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we've got seven bikes totalling about £10,000 covered for an extra £100 or so on the Halifax - but with a £250 excess, which made claiming for the kid's bike and losing the no-claims bonus not worthwhile. Next year I'm going to bite the bullet and take the excess down to £100.

DaleB

GFamily said:
The well known policies (of the sort provided by More Than & Direct Line) include Liability cover as part of their Contents Cover. But always check your own policy documents.

Ah, will do thanks :biggrin:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
This is a subject that comes up every couple of weeks. Bike specific policies always appear horrendously expensive compared to covers as part of house insurance policies.

Because everybody's specific (house/bike) insurance need is different and because there are numerous house policies you can buy offering different terms, it seems to me the best way to narrow down the right one is with the help of comparison websites. This provides a good guide.

Incidentally insurers invariably quote high and uncompetitive rates at renewal because most policy holders just say yes. You are nearly bound to save significant premium by either switching or just compare and tell your insurer what you have to pay if you switch.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
wow, thanks for all the replies and hope this has been helpful for others, it looks a bit of a minefield and it sems to vary a lot from one company to the next. Best bet is to shop around I think and read the policies closely for bike info. We need a specific bike insurance company :smile:

Top Bottom