Insurance payouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
There are frequent threads on here complaining about insurance companies. I often reply that I have never had any problems - but never buy the cheapest policy.

Another example.

Ski accident at the end of Feb, snapped ACL. Claimed for recovery from mountain, medical and physiotherapy cost, plus taxis, un-used ski hire, unused lift pass.

Forced to cancel Cuba holiday scheduled a week later.

Put in claim 10 days ago when all invoices and credit card statements available

Email today, stating claims paid in full direct to bank account. £1300+ for ski holiday (including £150 for 3 days lost skiing, which I had not claimed)
£3900+ for cancelled Cuba holiday.

Insurer, First Directory linked to first direct account, annual policy including mobile phone and car breakdown/recovery. £15 per month.

Reactions: srw

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I assume you are in the industry?

The worst weaselling, diving, and general spivviness happened when my van was stolen. Guess who the insurance company was?

The Prudential.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
Key with insurance is understand what you are buying and pay for the level of cover you honestly need. No point saving a little to not get the cover you need and put up with poor service.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Key with insurance is understand what you are buying and pay for the level of cover you honestly need. No point saving a little to not get the cover you need and put up with poor service.
If I could "like" this multiple times I would. It's getting increasingly easy to find out who the decent insurance companies are (declaration of interest - I work for one of them). And it's getting increasingly clear to those of us inside the industry (we're not all spivs) that there's a divide between those companies who try to pay what they owe and those who weasel out of their obligations, or who make it difficult for claimants to claim.

Extra declaration of interest in this thread - my employer and a sister company provide, and administer, at least two of the insurance sections in @PK99's First Directory. I can't remember whether that includes the Travel section.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I assume you are in the industry?

No, just a savvy customer.

I apply the same principles to buying insurance as, say, white goods or furniture where the maxim is " buy cheap, buy twice". I avoid both top and bottom of the market, and am not afraid to pay for good value.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I have been very tempted on many an occasion to do that with a printer at work.

Ours has been nicknamed Bob Marley because it always be jammin'.

I've fortunately never had to use my travel insurance however i always make sure to have appropriate cover. A mate of mine was caught in a rockslide on a motorbike tour in france, broke his back. The cost to get him home would have been astronomical were it not for his insurance.

Levo-Lon

Guru
A video recorder? They've not made them for years...is he a bit of a thicko?

Or it could be that it happened in the early 90's .....

vickster

Legendary Member
And you still felt the need to mention it in a thread about current performance of insurance companies...?

Top Bottom