Insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Anyone tried Columbus? They used to offer reasonable cover for backpacking around the world. Going back a few years now though. About £90 for the year it was. I think single item limit was £500. Medical cover and repatriation was good. Although I was backpacking and not cycling at the time, I just wanted insurance in case I needed to be airlifted out and brought home if struck down by a deadly illness, bitten by something poisonous or involved in a serious RTA. You can't even get cheap specific insurance to cover a bicycle in the UK let alone out in the wider world. My bikes are covered on house contents insurance. Individual policies for bicycles are ridiculously expensive.

andym

Über Member
spandex said:
But read the fine print on that BMC insurance I think you'll find that your not covered if you leave your bike out side Lock or not!!!

I've just been reading the fine print on the BMC insurance and I couldn't find that exclusion. There is an requirement that 'valuables' have to be kept in locked accommodation, security box etc, but 'valuables' are defined as:

Valuables - Audio, visual, video, photographic, computer, television, fax, phone and portable satellite equipment; jewellery; furs; gold and silver items; watches; binoculars; and electronic games.

Arch

Married to Night Train
stephenjubb said:
What countries that I travel to are covered by the policy? World Nomads cover every country in the world but you are not covered for medical expenses once you have returned to your country of residence. You also need to be aware that like all travel insurers, we do not cover claims resulting from war. Regarding terrorism, our policy covers medical costs, additional expenses and damage to your personal belongings, provided that the terrorism act was unexpected, however our policy does not cover the costs and deposits lost if you cancel your travel due to an act of terrorism.

Call me cynical, but I bet they can try to wiggle out of most stuff using that line, in current conditions....

Top Bottom