integrated headset issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jfinn101

hi there,

I just serviced my headset this morning. I cleaned down and re-greased and then reassembled. However after putting everything back together and tightening the bolts (top cap before the stem bolts) there seems to be some play in the headset and the spacers are still spinning around. It's really confusing because all of the spacers are in the correct positions as before and the bearing cartridges etc. are all the correct way up...

any suggestions?

Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sure you haven't left a spacer behind?

Take the top cap off and make sure you have 3mm gap between the top of the stem (Or the top spacer if you have one fitted) and the steerer tube. If you are using a bung in the steerer make sure that is correctly tightened against the wall of the tube, if it is not it will pull up as you torque the top cap.

OP
OP
J

jfinn101

Thanks! yeah no extra spacer...

could it be the order i put everything back together? there is a bung/compression ring in the steerer tube. currently the order is..

1. bearing cartridge at the bottom of the steerer
2. bearing cartridge at the top
3. compression ring
4. top bearing cover
5. spacers
6. stem
7. top spacer
8. top cap

Is that right? I'm watching a GCN video that appears to have them in the same order. i'm very confused...

Joe

You have everything in the right order.

Try tightening the top cap with the stem bolts loose - there should be no play.

Then apply steady downward pressure on the stem as you tighten up the bolts.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If your bung has shifted up, then it may be possible that you are running out of thread on your bolt and hence it seems tight, but is not. Is your bung in the right place?

Top Bottom