1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interchanging inner tubes

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Crock of Gold, 1 Jul 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

A report today said that Science and Maths exams are harder then arty-farty ones.

As a Literature graduate therefore (!) not only am I in the less intelligent half of the population but am also technically, numerically and common-sense wise illiterate.

So though I can recite the whole of Othello by heart, know how Keats died and know how to choose a good book to read to the kids I don't understand tyre sizes.

I have tried to help myself - I've visted Sheldon Brown's site, the CTC site and posts here.

But I have only 2 questions which I need an answer to.

Please.

I have two bikes - one is a wheel size 700x23 (langster), the other a 700x28 (sirrus).

Does the 700 refer to the diameter? What does the other number refer to?

Secondly, can I interchange the inner tubes on these?

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

700 wheel size, 23/28 is the width of the tyre.

Tubes are usually 20/23 and 25/28 - so see what it says on your tubes before shoving a 20/23mm in a 28 mm tyre - it will work, but you'll be overstretching the rubber - therefore more likely to go bang...

A 28mm will go in a 23mm just, but you might just pinch the tube..

3. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Cheers...

4. Perry

Perry Senior Member

Great post! :smile:

5. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

622 wheel size, with the outer diameter of the tyre being in the range 660 - 700ish