Interested in doing a CC tour of the DD Landing tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

thanks for that boab ,I'd like to stay for a whole week if poss. The hill warning sounds a bit ominous for a 17stone rider ;)
Gonna need to lose a stone at least or I'll be doing more walking than riding.
Would you be up for joining us for another trip ?

Penfold

Guys/Ladies

You may be aware that I'm planning a similar trip with some work mates.

Reading your thread is interesting for me too.

Can I suggest that as a group someone 'invests' in the best guide book for the whole landing beach areas.
Link: http://www.guide-books.co.uk/normandy.html

We use it for our 'Jolly Boy' outings and to be fair it is the tour bible.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Would you be up for joining us for another trip ?

very possibly. I would like to go back there again. I can tcommit to anything at this point though.

Omaha beach is worth a walk along from the cemetry at colville sur mere to the dog breen sector (saving private ryan bit) at the far western end...get a tide chart and time it, the beaches are far more interesting when not under water.

Strongly recommnend the small museum at arromanches.

On Utah beach you will see the german bunkers about 500m i think away from the visitor centre..on the day the troops were blown awayfrom their origional landing site (right in fron tof th ebunkers ) and along the beach where thankfully the defences were less strong . So although the bunkers there are interesting it is not where the bulk of the troops landed.

Ouisterham is interesting..the harbour there is where the famous scene from the fil longest day was shot...it's very clear when you get there where the commandos ran and where th egermans came down from their cliff top trenches to meet them...the trench sytem is still there...just walk up past the monument to th etop of th ecliff and along and you will see it.

There is so much to see, learn etc. Read and take a good guide book. The inland battles are facinating if you know where and what etc...Moissey ford is a tiny little stream but the fighting was intense...you can still just reach down into the dirt and pull up handfulls of spent rusty cartidges there.

You easily spend two weeks around there seeing everything but equally if you just stick to th eactual invasion beaches and dont stay to long on each then it's a doable weekender for sure.

I think you can get a ferry direct into ouisterham which would be to my mind the best place to start out from.

OP
OP
P

peanut

excellent info thanks. That should give us some good locations to aim for and save us wasting too much time running about .
Really looking forward to this now . Its starting to become more than just an idea. :biggrin:

Top Bottom