Interested in doing a CC tour of the DD Landing tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a short mini tour of the DDay landing beaches and Museums etc . I have always wanted to do this, both as a tribute and for purely personal reasons.

It could be later this summer or even in the Autumn . I so wanted to do the 50th Aniversary and missed it I also wanted to do the 60th on my classic motorbike but broke my back.
I would be very sad to have missed this time as my old Dad is unlikely to be alive for the next.

It could be for just a short weekend or Friday to monday or a whole week . Camping ,cheap hotels, B&Bs , self catering
Anyone interested in making up a CC party

Ergle

Über Member
Looks interesting - I may be up for it. I've never had a proper look at the scene of that historic event, and would like to do so this year, if work and family permit.

surfgurl

I might be up for it. I'm available until the start of September. I have been looking at maps already thinking I might go over for a few days.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Mmm me too I'm afraid my camping days are over , my back would definitely protest these days .:biggrin: probably be safer too

OP
OP
P

peanut

I was thinking along B&B lines rather than Hotels . That would leave us free to do our own thing regarding food etc and B&B are probably more likely to be bike friendly too. I can't see us taking our bikes up to our hotel room on the third floor to do some minor fettling ;)

We should make some enquiries about likely prices .

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have just done some prices 21-24 Aug. fri-mon Portsmouth to Cherbourg £65 return
11-14 Sept fri-mon drops to £50.50
I had to pick some dates so these are not hard and fast, I can go anytime
The other thing do we want to do Portsmouth to Cherbourg outward and Caen to Portsmouth on the return I’m easy
and something like this
p.s I can't speak French, but I'm trying....
pps just found that CTC do a fact sheet if you like I will e-mail it to you if your not a member
Richard

OP
OP
P

peanut

wow thats really cheap for the rooms isn't it.! The only fly in the oinment for me is I'm a lousy sailor. I get sick just thinking about crossing the channelxx(
I usually pick the shortest Dover Calais route and stay on deck :biggrin:

What about Poole /Cherbourg ? its only just over 2 hours as apposed to 3 hours+

Well done for doing a bit of research that looks very promising and gives me a bit of time to work on my fitness a bit .Well weight loss really:blush:

Reckon this is a goer:biggrin:

OP
OP
P

peanut

that sounds good to me . Looks like we might be able to use one base and cycle out from there if we are lucky or at the worst two . How long were you thinking of going for ?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have been there twice now and I'd go again. So much to see.
Dont forget about the inland battles in the falaise gap as well, around trun and the corridor of death...they are very interesting...also st mere eglise.

Be ready for some hills guys...that stretch of coast is pretty hilly.....especially around arromanches.

If you do some reading up before you go on the events of that day you will defo get more out of th etrip. You could do them all in a weekend but there is so much history and so many individual stories that more time could easily be spent there, or as I did take two trips.

Beware the owner of the cafe at pegasus bridge though, shes a wicked witch:laugh::welcome:

Top Bottom