The Big Tour of '24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Current route south of Rome is generally EV7, but cutting inland to avoid Naples (will get the train in) and not doing the Amalfi coast - we've been there before. Then over the Appenines from Paestum

In early May I'll be on the EV7 and then over to EV5 at Caserta/Bonavente to Brindisi on the Via Appia. Or that's the plan. The alternative was the Via Traiana which goes to Bari but the internal route through Matera looked more interesting. It's only a fraction of your big trip so much respect.

If we are on the route before you, we'll post up any worthwhile observations.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Kids left home, visas sorted, extended leave from work arranged, so the pieces are all in place.

We leave home on the tandem on 2nd April.

Thence to Portsmouth, and ferry to St Malo

The French leg is aimed to be as short as possible whilst visiting some friends: Nantes, Cholet, Angoulême, Millau, Nimes, Nice.

Then along the Riviera to Italy, and a meander through Italy to Bari: Genoa, Milan, Bergamo, Verona, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Paestum.

From Bari across the Adriatic to Albania and through the Balkans: Albania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia.

Next the Eastern European leg through Hungary (Budapest), Slovakia (Bratislava), Austria (Vienna), Czechia (Prague) and into Germany.

Finally from Germany (Dresden) through Holland to Rotterdam then ferry to Hull and home for the end of August.

I'm very sure this plan will change on its execution, maybe even very radically, but it's incredibly exciting to have the opportunity to do anything like this!

Oh my word this sounds incredible!

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The amazing Mrs Tuesday has made a tool wrap from a repurposed old waterproof:

1000003463.jpg

1000003464.jpg

(These are just the backup tools; multitool, leatherman, levers and tube are in an accessible pannier pocket)

Gillstay

Über Member
If you get a couple of longer than normal bolts for your water bottle holders and slip a nut on them first its a good way of having a handy bolt for when in need. Or if your carrier, or mudguard has a spot where is doesn't matter if they are too long. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

All is ready for the Grand Départ tomorrow, as long as my ill timed chest infection clears sufficiently. We're contemplating a dash to the channel a day early as the UK weather forecast is so pants this week!

Will post once uk leg is complete.

Emanresu

Good to see the zip ties in your pack. They were invaluable on a trip last year when the back tyre started to delaminate.

Also can be used to stop the flood waters rising above your ankle. :whistle:

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Country one update - England.

Writing this in the King's Head Whiteparish, near Salisbury, on schedule to head for Portsmouth for the ferry tomorrow.

It's been an eventful week, to put it very mildly indeed. We started with a lovely ride with a friend and two of the little Tuesdays over the Peak to Ashbourne, day one, then to Lichfield with another friend, but then, with 10 miles left to Leamington on day three, we had to abandon.

Because the frame was fatally cracked.

1000003684.jpg

This was a Bad Thing. My friend we were staying with in Leamington is though, happily, perhaps the most resourceful and helpful person there is, and also owns every tool imaginable. Within an hour he'd borrowed a land rover to get the tandem and rescue us, and, incredibly, within another hour we were driving to Portsmouth to buy this

1000003685.jpg

8am to 4pm fettling followed the next day, so astonishingly, we made it the 40 miles to Stow on the Wold just before dark, a total delay then of precisely nothing.

Subsequent days have been pretty tough cycling, into the most relentless, ferocious headwind I've ever experienced. Thanks Kathleen!

So far we've visited the National memorial arboretum, Lichfield Cathedral, Cotswold villages, Cirencester, Avebury Stone Circle, Stonehenge and Salisbury. A couple of pics:

1000003659.jpg

1000003769.jpg

1000003776.jpg

1000003774.jpg

Top Bottom