The Big Tour of '24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Kids left home, visas sorted, extended leave from work arranged, so the pieces are all in place.

We leave home on the tandem on 2nd April.

Thence to Portsmouth, and ferry to St Malo

The French leg is aimed to be as short as possible whilst visiting some friends: Nantes, Cholet, Angoulême, Millau, Nimes, Nice.

Then along the Riviera to Italy, and a meander through Italy to Bari: Genoa, Milan, Bergamo, Verona, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Paestum.

From Bari across the Adriatic to Albania and through the Balkans: Albania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia.

Next the Eastern European leg through Hungary (Budapest), Slovakia (Bratislava), Austria (Vienna), Czechia (Prague) and into Germany.

Finally from Germany (Dresden) through Holland to Rotterdam then ferry to Hull and home for the end of August.

I'm very sure this plan will change on its execution, maybe even very radically, but it's incredibly exciting to have the opportunity to do anything like this!

Slick

Guru
Kids left home, visas sorted, extended leave from work arranged, so the pieces are all in place.

The French leg is aimed to be as short as possible whilst visiting some friends: Nantes, Cholet, Angoulême, Millau, Nimes, Nice.

Then along the Riviera to Italy, and a meander through Italy to Bari: Genoa, Milan, Bergamo, Verona, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Paestum.

From Bari across the Adriatic to Albania and through the Balkans: Albania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia.

Next the Eastern European leg through Hungary (Budapest), Slovakia (Bratislava), Austria (Vienna), Czechia (Prague) and into Germany.

Finally from Germany (Dresden) through Holland to Rotterdam then ferry to Hull and home for the end of August.

I'm very sure this plan will change on its execution, maybe even very radically, but it's incredibly exciting to have the opportunity to do anything like this!

Sounds amazing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Screenshot_20240103_220104_Chrome.jpg

Polecat

Could you share whether this is mainly a camping trip or otherwise and what your average daily mileage is likely to be?

dimrub

Amazing, very excited for you!

a meander through.....
Every tour worth the name involves a bit of meandering ^_^

No doubt! One of the great things about a longer tour is the change in what I call "clock mentality".
There's very little chance of everything being researched and planned which leaves a lot of freedom for us to ride (or not!) what's in front of us.

That's a fantastic looking adventure! Don't forget the Travelogue section! ^_^

Cathryn

Legendary Member

FAN-TAS-TIC!!! I'm already excited to follow your journey.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Did a mock pack just to be sure we're ready, then a gentle 20 miles in the spring sunshine to calm our excitable nerves.

Everything on track... ...a friend and a couple of the little Tuesdays will join for a few miles on day one, another friend day 2, and another day 4. Accommodation arranged for first few nights, ferry booked to St Malo.

Hard to believe it's really happening!

Emanresu

Lots of miles there. Are you going tubed or tubeless?

Interested in your route south of Rome. Is it EV 7 to Naples and then over the Apennines to Bari? Took the ferry from there to Greece in 2020 but assume you are going to Albania from there. I saw lots of truck drivers on the ferry but the crossing/food/weather was good.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Lots of miles there. Are you going tubed or tubeless?

Interested in your route south of Rome. Is it EV 7 to Naples and then over the Apennines to Bari? Took the ferry from there to Greece in 2020 but assume you are going to Albania from there. I saw lots of truck drivers on the ferry but the crossing/food/weather was good.

Tubed - never used tubeless, not really tempted and most definitely not trying it for the very first time on this!

Current route south of Rome is generally EV7, but cutting inland to avoid Naples (will get the train in) and not doing the Amalfi coast - we've been there before. Then over the Appenines from Paestum. But this is very much open to change yet, any advice very welcome!

Top Bottom