Interesting "conversation" with 4X4 driver last night!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
4x4's are just a menace. Even to car drivers. Work colleague of mine had her car damaged by a 4x4. He overtook a car on his side of the road, crossing over the line to her side, his trailer then hit her car as he went past knocking her wing mirror off and damaging some of the body work.
He then stopped quite a bit further up the road. Must have thought he'd try it on as she was female driving a foreign car, told her she was to blame and drove off. Police say they can't do anything as she didn't manage to get the full number plate or a witness.

spindrift

4x4s are more likel;y to be involved in accidents, that's why the premiums are higher.

The anecdotal evidence on this site is that the drivers are often racist self-gratification artists like linford.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I played chicken with a Landy Discovery on Sunday - coming down a narrow hill, cars one side, my side clear, Mr Disco pulls out from a standstill and proceeds to drive up the road - no room for me. I carry on down the hill in primary shaking my head, than at the last minute switch left and dive down the inside of him.... Road Bike 1 Landy 0 !!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Great bit on Traffic Cops last night, when a cop pulled a Range Rover (a very much urban one, not one used properly) over for having heavily tinted front side windows. Woman driving (also wearing sunglasses!) was perplexed, having bought it like that from the dealer. Cop told her she could peel the tint off (it's just a sort of stickon film) or take points and a fine. She wanted to take it off, but her false nails stopped her doing the peeling. So she had to ring her husband to come and do it!

Of course, that could have happened with any sort of car, I appreciate.

The nect thing that cop did was pull over a chap who overtook on a solid white line at a junction...

Oh, look, another shiny urban 4x4...

But a dickhead is a dickhead whatever they drive.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Technically I think you are supposed to give way to oncoming vehicles if they are approaching up hill, unless you've already started through the part of the road which will be shared.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was already 3/4 of the way down all the parked cars, and about 100 yards behind another car. Narrow road, with houses/resident's cars all the way down a 300 yard stretch. He was at the end of said parked cars. I didn't have anywhere to go, the playing chicken made him give me a gap.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Arch said:
Great bit on Traffic Cops last night, when a cop pulled a Range Rover (a very much urban one, not one used properly) over for having heavily tinted front side windows. Woman driving (also wearing sunglasses!) was perplexed, having bought it like that from the dealer. Cop told her she could peel the tint off (it's just a sort of stickon film) or take points and a fine. She wanted to take it off, but her false nails stopped her doing the peeling. So she had to ring her husband to come and do it!

How funny I watched that but I watched a part where she happily explained to the (very reasonable) cop that she had just had the nails done and didn't want to break them! Then I heard her say to her husband "you'd better get your arse back here" - lovely lady indeed!!

Arch said:

The nect thing that cop did was pull over a chap who overtook on a solid white line at a junction...

I saw the latter bit of the program with the male driver. I might not of picked it up alright as I missed the most of it but it seemed like the police officer was going to let him with a written caution but the 4x4 driver continued to brake the law? In the end all charges were dropped because the driver had already been sent to jail for other offences.;)

LLB

spindrift said:
4x4s are more likel;y to be involved in accidents, that's why the premiums are higher.

That is absolute tosh spinners. Premiums are loaded because they have bigger engines, as well as the cost of repair due to their physical size and construction. Don't bother to quote Churchills as a source, they were discredited as reliable source a few months ago on here

The anecdotal evidence on this site is that the drivers are often racist self-gratification artists like linford.

This is not the soapbox Spinners, limit your foul mouthed rants to there.

LLB

Arch said:

Am pleased that this salient point is recognised Arch

Landslide

Rare Migrant
linfordlunchbox said:
The down side of going offroad is you always end up damaging them on ledges, trees etc (hence the bullbar), even if it is huge fun.

It's a pity that 4x4 drivers can't enjoy the environment without damaging it. Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints.

LLB

That's just after where the bus lane ends. Which is probably what he was talking about. And it usually takes a few seconds for a 4x4 driver's brain to catch up with what he can see.;)

The road isn't wide enough there, with that raised brick centre thing, to safely overtake a bike with a 4x4. And like you said, the traffic is always stopped at the crossing just after the ICC. The bloke's an idiot. You have my permission to tell him that.

BTW RC, I cycle up there whenever I bike it in now I've moved offices. If I was to be looking out for you, what should I look for?

For clarity, I think it is fair to say that it would not safe for any car (4x4 or otherwise) to pass at this point MrP :biggrin:

I can feel the warmth of negative vibes flowing between us MrP :angry:

spindrift

Kevin Clinton, head of safety at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, says: “In the US, more than one third of fatal crashes with sports utility vehicles are rollovers. American safety organisations attribute this to their high centre of gravity and the likelihood of the roof being crushed during the rollover.” My car comes from America.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article452795.ece

Owners of 4x4s are likely to bear the brunt of changes in the way car insurance is calculated.
Drivers of Range Rovers, BMW X5s and Toyota Land Cruisers and other socalled Chelsea Tractors are likely to have to pay hundreds of pounds more for comprehensive insurance under a new risk assessment scheme to be announced.
The changes are also likely to hit drivers of sporty diesels and even some mid-range hatchbacks. In future, insurance will be based on the likelihood of a car being damaged in a crash – or damaging another car – and the likely cost of repair. This could add hundreds of pounds to the typical comprehensive quote, currently about £800.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=437707&in_page_id=1770

Four-wheel-drive cars should carry health warnings to highlight the increased dangers they pose to pedestrians, doctors have said. They say the gas-guzzlers are more deadly than normal cars and should come with warnings similar to those found on cigarette packets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...6&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true

Imperial College London found 4x4 drivers were four times more likely to use mobile phones than other drivers, while a third more shunned seat belts. The team, who observed 41,000 motorists, said those in 4x4s took more risks as they felt safer in their cars, the British Medical Journal reported.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5107708.stm

UK insurance industry figures from Churchill show that urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage.[2] Admiral Insurance also recently released figures showing that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident.

2. Safe bet for a bump, Mail on Sunday, 10 October 2004
3. Admiral Insurance, in Sunday Times, 10 July 2005

Top Bottom