Interesting frame, help with id

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
A few weeks back I acquired a couple of old bike frames on ebay. One I have determined is a Raleigh Grand Prix which will be built up cheap as a 'beater'
The other I have no clue. It apperars to be steel however is really light compared to the raleigh frame. There are no serial numbers or obvious markings. The lugwork is nothing overly fancy but is clean and well made. There is only one boss on the downtube for a single shifter and the rear brake bridge appears to have been assembled wrong?
Im stumped. Im thinking maybe its a custom built frame unless anyone can shed any light? (Apologies for the dodgy photos)
20140615_104630.jpg 20140615_104644.jpg 20140615_104705.jpg 20140615_104718.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@speedfreak nice lugs on head tube and no some brake bridges are that way round have fun trying to find a brake caliper that mounts that way

are you sure there are not any frame numbers anywhere ?

do you have the forks ?

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

834845 :shy:
Stamped on the dropout, not sure how I missed that.
No forks just a bare frame, seller said it had been resprayed recently but thats all he knew.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Lots of googling and a visit to a few lbs and still a mystery.
@biggs682 You're right, cannot source a rear caliper that mounts that way.
Possibly going to build it up as a fixed with chrome parts to contrast the black frame.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Lots of googling and a visit to a few lbs and still a mystery.
@biggs682 You're right, cannot source a rear caliper that mounts that way.
Possibly going to build it up as a fixed with chrome parts to contrast the black frame.
i am sure i have seen calipers for that mount position JUST CANT REMEMBER WHERE

i have also seen a caliper and mount kit for undrilled rear bridges but do you think i can find

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Have a look here. There's a link that shows an adapter for use with weinmann side pull calipers. Think thus was for a peugeot but also seen something's mentioned about older schwinns and some German or French bikes having a vertical mounting hole.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/251709-how-might-i-put-rear-brake-peugeot.html

Looks like you could get an adaptor or maybe get a machine shop to make one based upon the picture.

Hope this helps

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks @Kins and @Tony Raynor i knew i wasnt going mad

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Thanks guys will bear it all in mind. Im definitely going to build it up, was in two minds whether to sell it on but it appears well made and is surprisingly light.
Thanks for all your help, will post some pics if/when it's finished

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Last edited:

Kins

Über Member
834845 :shy:
Stamped on the dropout, not sure how I missed that.
No forks just a bare frame, seller said it had been resprayed recently but thats all he knew.

Very bad respray. Looks like the bike was yellow before. I would paint it again, stick a pair of nice chrome forks on it. Lovely. The more I look at that head tube, more I like it.

ggaatos

The head lug , I am allmost sure , shows a Peugeot . Not a PX 10 or something like that but a very nice bike anyway. If it is possible mesure the outer diameter of the seat tube. If it is 28.6mm is not French if it is 28mm is French made. For more details about old Peugeot bicycles try this www.retropeugeot.com

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I would concur. We used to call those aztec lugs.
Comme ca
kosi_uo8_front.jpg
picture also from retropeugeot. I had one like it. It was not the lightest bicycle, but it certainly rode nicely. Great bike !
Slater_72_UO8_Front_Offset.JPG

This may be the same color yellow, also from retropeugeot. I love retropeugeot's site. I'm currently rehabilitating a weekender model from 1971.

Last edited:
Top Bottom