Interesting incident on the commute today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
So today me and a friend were commuting together. It was quite late in the morning so there were very few cars on the road, and we'd maybe encounter one every 5 or 10 minutes on our route.

We were cycling 2 abreast on a very wide road (again, almost no traffic) when a car passes us.

The pass really wasn't that bad. The driver passed quite fast (fast enough for me to think he was breaking the speed limit at the time), although he passed very wide leaving plenty of room. There was no other traffic about, so the driver didn't even have to wait to overtake us.

Now, this would have been fine had he not held on his horn for the duration of the overtake. What an idiot, I thought, and lifted up my left arm in a 'What's your problem?' sort of a way. Oh well, just one of the few impatient nutters we encounter on the roads.

The car then pulled up in front of us, and the driver got out and started walking towards us very purposefully. I started thinking things could go bad from here and was considering turning around and taking an alternate route. It was about this point he pulled out his badge and identified himself as a police officer.

He then proceeded to loose his cool, and tell us (through shouting) that we were obstructing traffic (there wasn't any) and that we weren't allowed to cycle two abreast, and must cycle as close to the pavement as possible. He then got in his car and drove away.

There was not an ounce of professionalism from this officer throughout the whole incident, if he indeed was one at all.

If an officer of the law doesn't even know the law regarding cycles on the road, what chance do we have of educating the general public?

Note that I'm not suggesting this is representative of all Police Officers at all, rather just highlighting the behavior of one particular officer.

400bhp

Guru
very odd.

Mallory

sounds like a jumped up little nazi. had you raised up your right arm you would have been fine.

Seriously though i've found that raising your arm is almost as bad as touching their car!!!

Herbie

Veteran
So today me and a friend were commuting together. It was quite late in the morning so there were very few cars on the road, and we'd maybe encounter one every 5 or 10 minutes on our route.

We were cycling 2 abreast on a very wide road (again, almost no traffic) when a car passes us.

The pass really wasn't that bad. The driver passed quite fast (fast enough for me to think he was breaking the speed limit at the time), although he passed very wide leaving plenty of room. There was no other traffic about, so the driver didn't even have to wait to overtake us.

Now, this would have been fine had he not held on his horn for the duration of the overtake. What an idiot, I thought, and lifted up my left arm in a 'What's your problem?' sort of a way. Oh well, just one of the few impatient nutters we encounter on the roads.

The car then pulled up in front of us, and the driver got out and started walking towards us very purposefully. I started thinking things could go bad from here and was considering turning around and taking an alternate route. It was about this point he pulled out his badge and identified himself as a police officer.

He then proceeded to loose his cool, and tell us (through shouting) that we were obstructing traffic (there wasn't any) and that we weren't allowed to cycle two abreast, and must cycle as close to the pavement as possible. He then got in his car and drove away.

There was not an ounce of professionalism from this officer throughout the whole incident, if he indeed was one at all.

If an officer of the law doesn't even know the law regarding cycles on the road, what chance do we have of educating the general public?

Note that I'm not suggesting this is representative of all Police Officers at all, rather just highlighting the behavior of one particular officer.

bit of a nymty....don't waste anymore thinking time on him

Maz

Guru
What sort of ID badge do UK coppers have?
It's not one of those flip-wallet yankee-doodle-dandy things is it?

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, they issue flip wallet yankee wotsit doobrey, although a lot of us just buy a special wallet with a badge and card holder (available from Gladstones before any other coppers ask).

If he was a copper then I'm Hitlers missing testicle. If you got his reg then phone and report him cos I guarantee you he ain't a bobby regardless of whether he waved his Santander cashpoint card about or not. Identifying yourself and waving your credentials about is the absolute last thing any copper with a braincell might do.

Not to say he might be a special though, many of whom (but not all - some are very hardworking and dedicated) think they're Idi Amin, so definitely make sure you report this nob.

Davidsw8

Hmm, was he a real policeman? I used to have a pretend police badge when I was about 5... Although it wouldn't surprise me to hear a policeman acting like this, many are great but I often see police ignore pavement cycling, RLJ'ers - not sure the point of legislation that's not upheld, just takes up space on the books...

Maybe you're not supposed to ride 2 abreast but if there's nothing else around, what's the problem. However, the bit about cycling as close to the pavement as possible is incorrect and actually a pretty stupid thing to do anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sounds bogus to me as well. Don't suppose you got the car reg? There might be some nutter driving around impersonating a Police officer so if there are other reports they will all be attached to that car reg.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Doubt he was a real policeman. Probably just a complete wazzock who carries a phoney badge round with him so he can shout at other road users without getting chinned.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
He ain't real. He's fishier than Adrian's home made apple pie.

That's what I figured after looking back on the incident. He only flashed a badge, could have been anything really. Unfortunately I didn't get his registration, and when a nutter identifying himself as an officer gets out his car my first instinct isn't to ask him to come closer so I can see his badge. :thumbsup:

I did however find it amusing that had he not stopped and got out his car, he wouldn't have been inconvenienced in the slightest.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'd accost the next cop you see, tell them the story and ask to see their warrant card, our lot have a plastic credit card one now, none of the NYPD shiny badge flummery.

They take impersonating Police Officers very seriously, if he was a fake and you happened to be vulnerable & he took a shine to you, are you going to object too much if handcuffed and put into a car?

I know a very few mouthy d**kheads in the job but they usually like a pal or two around to play up to & as protection.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What a numpty. We had a lady (I use the term loosely) honking incessantly when we were riding 2 abreast on a perfectly straight bit of wide road with no traffic apart from her. We laugh about her even now.
I don't think that he was a real copper either. I might make a quick call to your local police station and mention it. There might be other reports of some idiot yelling at other road users.

Top Bottom