Interesting injury article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickothedrafter

Cheers for that, makes very interesting reading :smile:

jimboalee

This report is quite 'thin on the ground' in my opinion.

"After a six to eight day cycling tour for recreational cyclists". This says to me the 'cycling tours' were commercially organised 'sightseeing' rides for anyone who was willing to pay the money. You see them advertised in the CTC magazine.
It really doesn't surprise me to hear half the riders complained of neck and back pain, that's PAR FOR THE COURSE !
In my experience, the 'cycling tour for recreational cyclists' attracts riders who of which HALF have not prepared properly and are literally 'ignorant' of what is ahead.
The Malin to Mizen ride is typical of this.

To say it is due to 'bike set-up' is VERY misleading. The true cause is "Rider inexperience".
To embark on an eight day tour, the first thing to sort out in preparation is getting comfortable on a bike, any bike, and make a note of the dimensions when the bike is comfortable. When you get the bike that is going to be used, set it to the known dimensions and take the tools with you to trim it as you go.

Yup, 50% of 'Recreational cyclists' don't know how to set-up a bike!!! :welcome:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The problem is that not everyone has the time or inclination to tinker with and get used to a bike before one of these events. That might be wrong, but that is the way it is, and will likely always be.

Before my 100 mile ride, I did train a reasonable amount, and got used to the bike and adjusted things to try and help. However, despite this, I still got a sore neck, sore hamstring tendons (I might drop the seat a fraction) and numb fingers (dropping the seat might help, but I don't want to drop it too much, as otherwise it feels good).

I still haven't found my optimum set up on my bike and I have been riding it for a good 6 months. I don't think I am far off, but it does take time.

jimboalee

So what I say to all the ill-prepared cyclists who haven't the inclination to properly train for a multiday ride is:-

"Self inflicted injury".

OP
OP
M

magnatom

In all seriousness, I know where you are coming from. Yes you are crazy not to prepare as best you can, but sometimes it can be difficult to find the time.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I wouldn't say it was the most robust paper I'd ever read, but in fairness to the author the specific reference to recreational cyclists is only one example of the three injury investigation papers that he quotes. The other two imply studies on regular, experienced riders.

Even for relatively experienced riders, there's always the danger of hurting something if you're pushing yourself towards a new goal. The balance between improving and breaking can be a delicate one, especially if you're a knackered ex-ninja like maggers.:rolleyes:

jimboalee

Each April, I go on the Castleton Classic Audax with North B'ham CTC.

There's quite a bit of climbing. I either finish, or I don't. Either way, its a tortureous endeavour. Every year I finish in some sort of pain.

This year was a ditch-out. I know when to stop cus it could be the end game for the entire season.

Yes, there is a very thin line between purposeful training and permanent injury.

Inexperienced cyclists not only fail to realise how much training is needed, they also fail to know when to stop.

AWG

jimboalee said:
Yes, there is a very thin line between purposeful training and permanent injury.

As a "Recreational" MTB cyclist covering about 27 miles a week over 3 sessions I'd use this quote, except delete "purposeful training" and insert "sensible riding". There is no point in overdoing trying to keep fit as you can end up being unable to do anything for weeks. I overdid cycling in 2001 and ended up not being able to either use a bike nor hike any reasonable distance for months. As the steam engine firemen of old were instructed (as to use of coal) "little and often" for recreational cyclists is the key I believe. The paper is quite well thought out I think.

jimboalee

AWG said:
As a "Recreational" MTB cyclist covering about 27 miles a week over 3 sessions I'd use this quote, except delete "purposeful training" and insert "sensible riding". There is no point in overdoing trying to keep fit as you can end up being unable to do anything for weeks. I overdid cycling in 2001 and ended up not being able to either use a bike nor hike any reasonable distance for months. As the steam engine firemen of old were instructed (as to use of coal) "little and often" for recreational cyclists is the key I believe. The paper is quite well thought out I think.

Bollo said "danger of hurting something if you're pushing yourself towards a new goal".

No-one ever improves without doing more than previous, hence the 'new goal'.

Nowhere on this forum has anyone said "I'm satisfied only being able to ride x miles". EVERYONE aims to be a better rider. ;)

It's a matter of knowing when to stop.

Top Bottom