Interesting Lemond article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
There is a fascinating article about Greg Lemond in Observer Sport Monthly which you should be able to find online.

wafflycat

What's the article title? Who is it written by?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not only a fascinating article, but also it is interesting that it appears to have been removed from the Guardian/Observer website! Have Lance's lawyers been at work :smile:?

At this moment, it is still in the Google cache - click here.

wafflycat

ColinJ said:
Not only a fascinating article, but also it is interesting that it appears to have been removed from the Guardian/Observer website! Have Lance's lawyers been at work :smile:?

At this moment, it is still in the Google cache - click here.

Ta! That's excellent!

yenrod

Yeah great story - i grew up watching Lemond win the 90 TdF.

That got me starred in cycling. i wanted to ride a roady bike and ended up with one after a fair while, mind.

Stiil, truth and justice usually do out themselves and I feel that will happen for Lemond but as for Amstrong: the more i see him I loathe that fact he was coached by ferrari & he won 7 TdF's...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
yenrod said:
Yeah great story - i grew up watching Lemond win the 90 TdF.

That got me starred in cycling. i wanted to ride a roady bike and ended up with one after a fair while, mind.
It was Lemond's 8 second win over Fignon in 1989 that did it for me! I hadn't ridden a bike for about 20 years but I went out and bought one after spending most evenings that July watching the Channel 4 coverage of the Tour.

Over the following few years, I was shocked how quickly Lemond lost the ability to be competitive. At the time, they blamed it on the lead pellets still embedded in his body after his hunting accident, but looking back with hindsight, I think that it is pretty obvious that the new and rampant abuse of EPO in the peloton was the principal reason.

wafflycat

ColinJ said:
It was Lemond's 8 second win over Fignon in 1989 that did it for me! I hadn't ridden a bike for about 20 years but I went out and bought one after spending most evenings that July watching the Channel 4 coverage of the Tour.

Still the best ever ending to any TdF IMO.

yenrod

ColinJ said:

Over the following few years, I was shocked how quickly Lemond lost the ability to be competitive. At the time, they blamed it on the lead pellets still embedded in his body after his hunting accident, but looking back with hindsight, I think that it is pretty obvious that the new and rampant abuse of EPO in the peloton was the principal reason.

wafflycat said:
Still the best ever ending to any TdF IMO.

It just shows you how stupid the drugs cheats are looking now.

Was reading today that Christian Prudhomme wants or is NOT in favour of riders ear-pieces.

Though you got to give it to France for doing this.

Only in France - no other country would have the backside to as they're to money loving: to do it !

Though if you read some of procycling this months with Contador in a virtuel 2008 tour winners jersey (why they did that is beyond me) theirs a great article in it about 10yrs since Festina.

Basically points out that the same people who where the dopers are now the DS's, managers of teams so its just rolling over and that was wrote by a Dr who was invloved in festina :smile:

Top Bottom