Interesting vid on free/wild camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Now *that* is interesting! It's a while now since I came across Vango's newly launched Project Hydrogen airbeam tent, but at £600 couldn't seriously contemplate it. Alpkit's Aeronaut looks to be much more tempting.
I was tempted by the apparent cleverness of the pump up tent but decided that it's easier to fix a pole section problem (splint, tape, insert spare carried pole bit) than sort a tent puncture.

mikeIow

Guru
Now *that* is interesting! It's a while now since I came across Vango's newly launched Project Hydrogen airbeam tent, but at £600 couldn't seriously contemplate it. Alpkit's Aeronaut looks to be much more tempting.
Yup....it arrived about 8 months after I had spotted a bargain deal on the Force Ten......not that I am grumbling, of course, but the Aeronaut looks designed for cycle campers!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
For really furtive free camping, though for short trips only, I can recommend the snugpak ionosphere.
Pic taken on a 3 day trip/mission which brought me to the same wood on both nights.
Very good for small spaces. Chucked it down the second night but all was well. Compact but not as small inside as might at first seem.
You can also get a sandy coloured fly for desert type areas.

mikeIow

Guru
bit more complicated with a tent maybe - and not something you want to find when trying to put it up - especially if raining/dark maybe both.
Well....having had pole breakages with tents twice in the past, I would take their claim that "it can easily be repaired by puncture repair kit if necessary" at face value....kludging broken pole fixes with duct tape in the dark was no fun either, & I reckon the tubes would be less like to break in the conditions my poles did - tubes would flex with the wind rather than fight it until they snap!

Could be wrong, of course....& since I have the Force Ten, I'm unlikely to find out in the near future 🤷‍♂️

eta - just read the reviews on their site, & a bit of a mixed bag.....

Last edited:

Baldy

Über Member
- tubes would flex with the wind
That would be something of an understatement.

mikeIow

Guru
Wow!
If I didn’t have a shed full of tents (DofE stuff!), I’d be sorely tempted….don’t think I can justify it ‘just in case’ 🤣

OP
OP
Blue Hills
eta - just read the reviews on their site, & a bit of a mixed bag.....
ah, yes, just read -very variable indeed - sounds on balance far from simple to put and possibly not very stable.
will be sticking to the ionosphere - four pegs and its reliably in place, then needs a hell of a lot of pegs to finish (I take 20 to be sure!) but solid as a rock. Easy availability of spares though I don't anticipate too many issues with the poles - they are DAC - good quality.

Top Bottom