interesting…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The BBC done something similar before, on a year by year basis but only to 2008, its sometimes has links to the stories. The new one touch wood has only recorded one on a local cycling road (yet if you talk to locals you'd have thought there had been hundreds) and 2 on the A92 which is close to a motorway at those points :ohmy:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A bit sad where I live as two of the three cycling deaths within a few miles were children on bikes. I found it a bit poignant as it records the death of a friend and serious injury of two others back in 2003 in a car crash.

I had a quick look at my local work area at bike fatalities to help show me any accident blackspots. I am shocked to see that most of the bike deaths are women - 14 out of 16.

Is this an anomily or is it becuase women are more liekly to die from injury or are they taking greater risks or are drivrs less forgiving of women?

I had a quick look at my local work area at bike fatalities to help show me any accident blackspots. I am shocked to see that most of the bike deaths are women - 14 out of 16.

Is this an anomily or is it becuase women are more liekly to die from injury or are they taking greater risks or are drivrs less forgiving of women?
It could be a mis-perception on my part but when I see an RIP on this site I think a female cyclist killed by a lorry in London. My theory is they poor people are less assertive in traffic and/or less aware of the dynamics of HGV's

This has further convinced me that where I live is one of the safest places for cycling, only one death in the county recorded and that was back in 2002.
Although the map is fascinating I have a worry that potential cyclists may be put off if they see it.

albion

Guru
The problem with these things is that accidentally omitting deaths means your area looks like it is safe .

The September one I recalled on the A174 was not there. Allowing for time lag I checked another A174 near Redcar one from 2009
Not there either. So it seems that the notorious A174 is quite safe!

I've not seen anything like this before. Looking at the area I have cycled in (Lancashire - West Yorkshire) I was struck by:

• the fact that not every 'bike' brown dot indicated a cycling fatality
  • the number of cycling fatalities that involved children & teenagers
  • the number of coffin-dodgers who were riding bikes when they were involved in an accident

Looks like having survived my youth I'm fairly safe for the moment :becool: but will need to start being especially vigilant from about 2021! :cycle:

Top Bottom