"Intermediate" level proficiency in MS Office?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a job interview on Monday, for part of which I will need to demonstrate "intermediate" level proficiency in MS Office. What level is this likely to be? I would be pretty competent in Word (although on the older versions, I have never really used the up to date ones, we still had Word 97 in my last job and I use Abiword on my own computer for quite a few years now. I have a good basic working knowledge of Excel but am definitely no expert. Powerpoint is something I haven't used in years although I'd still know the basics.

I don't even have access to a computer with MS Office installed to practice on (and I'm too stingy to buy it!).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd suggest downloading a 'test' version - 1 month free download - and familiarise yourself with the current version.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Yeah, I think by saying 'intermediate', they just want somebody that's not completely clueless. Good luck with the interview!

KneesUp

Guru
When I used to teach people to use Office the intermediate Word course had Styles and tables on it as I recall. That wasn't a standard thing though, I was an internal trainer doing courses created in house. Have a look at the ECDL course content, that will give you a good idea. Good luck.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
The job will be to process medical claims so I'd imagine spreadsheets would be used a lot. I can certain create basic spreadsheets and enter info, format it etc but that would be as far as my Excel knowledge would go.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The job will be to process medical claims so I'd imagine spreadsheets would be used a lot. I can certain create basic spreadsheets and enter info, format it etc but that would be as far as my Excel knowledge would go.
You might need some simple formulae - maybe to add up the values in a couple of cells to make the total of the claim.

Sounds data intensive so I would Familiarise yourself with vlookups, pivot tables and a new fancy filter tool called a slicer.

Also learn how to find duplicates with the duplicate tool.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
This actually turned out to be quite basic. I didn't get to demonstrate anything on a computer. It was just a print out of some basic questions with multiple choice answers.

Top Bottom