Internal cable rattles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I keep looking at these:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-pro-dx-multicross-2000/aid:577015

They seem ideal for me - flat bars, decent kit, discs, chubby tyres for Lake district roads and all in a lighter package than a slick shod MTB.

I read somewhere that a tester had noted that cables rattled inside the tubes of a road bike being tested.

This would aggravate me.

Do internal cables usually rattle? Any 'bad' experiences.

i know it's not end of the world stuff but I hate rattles where there shouldn't be any eg cars!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That depends if the cables are routed with a tube of sorts. If not, then it's more likely to rattle, and a pig to change. Both my 'olde worlde' steel road bikes have internal routing for rear brake cables = no rattle.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not sure what they are.

BR tested a Rose road bike and experienced some rattle.

Also some Cube Agree owners on BR are having the same issue. Apparently Cube have brought out a dealer fit dampening kit! Clearly the R&D process was less than perfect.

Is this a fashion thing? A solution to a problem that doesn;t exist? I had road bikes and MTB's for nigh on a couple of decades and never suffered any shift issues from exposed cables even when my NTB's were plastered in mud.

G-Zero

Über Member
I have to admit that the only thing that bugs me about my Cube GTC-SL, is the rattle from the internally routed cables.

The noise isn't there all the time, just on the choppiest bits of the road.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks like an ideal all-purpose bike - is that how roadsters would have evolved had mountain bikes not come along? I used to ride a Raleigh roadster around the Yorkshire Dales; the 3 speed hub wasn't best suited to the hills.

I have an internal cable rattle on the Tricross but it doesn't bother me too much. I have thought about pulling the cable out and wrapping it in some soft tape but am not sufficiently bothered by it.

Top Bottom