Internal cabling issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a specialized sirrus elite hybrid bike. Its derailleur cables are internal. I tried to replace front derailleur cable. At the entry point in to the frame, there was a cable sheath but during movements, this sheath went inside. Now I can not pass the cable. It coils inside.
Interestingly, I an able to pass a brake cable which is slightly thicker and appear stiffer. Therefore the route is not blocked. I tried to pass the gear cable while the brake cable is still routed internally. Gear cable goes halfway and then coils up.
Any suggestions? Any experience in using a magnet to guide the cable?
Use cable ties on the frame and use external cable with full house? Would it work?
Failing all, use the bike without the front derailleur?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Here are a few hacks which may help:

View: https://youtu.be/P7BVApNbLf8

OP
OP
midliferider
Can you not join them together with tape ?
Since I have managed to put a brake cable, I can connect the gear cable to the end of brake cable with a cellotape and see.
I am thinking of routing a cable sheath around the brake cable and then removing the cable leaving the sheath inside. Then I have a way to keep the track always clear protect the cable.

Gunk

Guru
Since I have managed to put a brake cable, I can connect the gear cable to the end of brake cable with a cellotape and see.
I am thinking of routing a cable sheath around the brake cable and then removing the cable leaving the sheath inside. Then I have a way to keep the track always clear protect the cable.

That’s what I did on my sons Colnago build

OP
OP
midliferider
When I pulled the cable out, I was hoping that outer sheath will remain inside. But there was no outer sheath running the entire length inside the frame. It was just few cm at both ends.
Well, I have learnt a lesson.

boydj

Legendary Member
Feed a cable up the wrong way, then glue or tie the new cable to this and pull it through. I had to do this when re-cabling my Focus.

OP
OP
midliferider
Why, oh why is it forbidden to have cables and fasteners un-hidden? I like bikes (and motorcycles) that you can see how they are put together, and that are easy to work on. The list of things that I don't want on a new bike is getting longer...

This issue probably need a new thread on it's own.
Well newest bikes apparently don't have any cables at all. They are operated electronically, blue tooth technology.
I think specialized have decided to stop production of rim brakes. It is all hydraulic.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Edit: deleted - see subsequent post.
Why, oh why is it forbidden to have cables and fasteners un-hidden? . . . The list of things that I don't want on a new bike is getting longer...
Who is "forbidding" this? Isn't this just personal choice?

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom