International cycling research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich1986

Bike-Barometer 2020-2021 is a collaborative, international project led by the University of Valencia, and the University of Southampton is involved in UK data collection. This is a call to participate in that work.

There are clearly many factors contributing to cyclist-related road trauma, from infrastructure and users at the sharp end, to the laws and policy frameworks set at national and international levels; however, the end user can often bear the brunt of the blame. Bike Barometer 2020-2021, which spans 15 countries, aims to look more deeply at this. Do people’s cycling-related behaviours and attitudes really explain crash involvement? How are these factors, and demographics, related to each other? Should we even be looking at ‘risk’ in this way?

To help answer some these questions the we would like to inviting anyone over the age of 18 who has used a bicycle in the recent past and is resident in the UK (regardless of your nationality) to complete an online questionnaire, with all responses remaining entirely anonymous. The questionnaire takes around 15 minutes to complete.

Simply click on the following link and contribute to this international cycling safety project.

https://forms.gle/9AYPK1x82fVqDeyy6

UK data collection has been approved by the University of Southampton’s Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences Ethics Committee, ID 63069. Further details are available through the questionnaire link.

Very many thanks in advance,

Rich

Sharky

Guru
Got stuck on the question about number of inhabitants in my location. Haven't a clue and no option to say "Don't know"

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've seen this one before somewhere. It appears the maximum time any one cycle trip can take me is 3hrs. Even in lockdown times that is actually about the minimum.

both '' Not realising that a parked vehicle intends to leave and consequently having to brake abruptly to avoid a collision '' and '' When riding on the left side, not realising that a passenger is getting out of a vehicle or bus, and thus being close to hitting them '' are a mistake of the driver, as you have to indicate, watch, and pull out of you have space instead of blaming the cyclist for not seeing the drivers wnat to leave.
The same with opening an door, if you open your door you watch if it's clear to open it. The way this is worded puts all blame on the cyclist, really makes it sounds like while on a cycle everyone around you acts like a lemming and it's op to you to aviod to hit the poor souls.(and that only after i think the first page, after location pages and such)

gcogger

It very much looks like a questionnaire that's trying to blame cyclists :sad: Most of the questions are about things the cyclist does and, even when it's about what others do, it's something like "how angry do you get about close passes?"

snorri

Legendary Member
It said they would not be holding any information from which I could be identified, but they asked which city , town, or village I lived in.
There are only two cyclists in my village:sad:.

Top Bottom