Internet daily allowances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Do people find they spend too much time on the internet?

I found my son on his PS in the early hours one morning over Xmas and decided to do something about it, hes not the only one who spends too much time on line.

:idea: Iv'e purchased a programmable socket timer and set the times throughout the weekdays and weekends so it goes off for an hour at tea time and then at 9.30pm weeknights and 11.00pm weekends, coming back on at 7.30am. Im going to plug it into the power for the modem.

I'd possibly be harsher but the kids watch most of their TV online now

ScotiaLass

Guru
My son (14) uses the Mac in the front room, programmed to 2 hours per day, and one hour for homework research (a different account)
He has an iPad which is connected 4pm - 9pm daily.
His phone isn't on the internet.

stephec

Legendary Member
When we were on BT internet I set up the router so that my lad's Xbox was blocked between certain hours, this isn't available on all types of router though, as I found out when we were on Plusnet.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I spend all my time on the internet all my tv's, set top boxes, game consoles. computers, tablets, phones are all connected online, I watch more TV via the internet than any other way.

I also have a NAS drive with all my music and films on it which is accessible from all the devices in or outside the house.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This always seems a bit like worrying that people are reading too much paper.

It's a medium - you can view the equivalent of endless crappy reality shows using it, or read the equivalent of an encyclopaedia, or Koestler's Darkness at Noon.

If you're an awkward teen that doesn't like the stuff your physically proximate peers like ("celebrities", cars, football, shitty music) it can also be an important connection into communities that share your interests, and can help lessen feelings of isolation and loneliness.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
As mentioned - you can get routers that allow internet access at particular times.

Microsoft provide a tool - Family Safety (?) - you can set it to log the computer on\off at certain times of the day. Not used it in years but it was very good.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/set-up-family-safety#set-up-family-safety=windows-7

Looks good, didnt realise this could be done. Ive already bought and set up the programmer now so will try that to begin with. Im with virgin and already have the child filter on which seems good so not worried about inappropriate content as such, just him/us using the net/xbox late into the night and then missing out on other things

BrynCP

Über Member

It's a medium - you can view the equivalent of endless crappy reality shows using it, or read the equivalent of an encyclopaedia, or Koestler's Darkness at Noon.

If you're an awkward teen that doesn't like the stuff your physically proximate peers like ("celebrities", cars, football, shitty music) it can also be an important connection into communities that share your interests, and can help lessen feelings of isolation and loneliness.

I agree with this; it depends on what it is being used for.

As a teen, which was only 15 years ago, I was limited to 1-2 hours during the school week and that included doing my work. Even when I was older we had one internet enabled computer for the family so naturally you were limited.

My router, a tp link w8970, has some parental controls for time of day. Never looked into it or used it because I am addicted to the internet an adult.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

agree the internet is fantastic but its one one tool that contributes to development/enjoyment of life. It depends on age etc. of course but im just looking to limit not remove the access

Wasn't there someone who linked the play system to an exercise bike?

The kids had to pedal to power the unit.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There is another evil arising from a too early attention to Novels. They fix attention so deeply, and afford so lively a pleasure, that the mind, once accustomed to them, cannot submit to the painful task of serious study. Authentic history becomes insipid. The reserved graces of the chaste matron Truth pass unobserved admist the gaudy and painted decorations of fiction. The boy who can procure a variety of books like Gil Blas, and the Devil upon Two Sticks, will no longer think his Livy, his Sallust, his Homer, or his Virgil pleasing. He will not study old Lilly, while he can read Pamela and Tom Jones, and a thousand inferior and more dangerous novels. (http://www.english.upenn.edu/~mgamer/Etexts/knox.html)

Do not such histories as "Tom Jones," and even the celebrated Richardson's "Pamela," tend to sap the foundation on which delicacy of mind, modesty of deportment, or even virtue is built[.] This foundation undermined and destroyed, what safeguard from gross vice, has the youth, whose mind is not yet imbued with the principles of that religion, which requires purity of heart? Surely no one, who knows the strength of man's natural depravity, and who is a friend of man, can wish to add such fuel to the flame already raging in his breast. (ON NOVEL READING (from The Guardian; or Youth's Religious Instructor, 1820, pp. 46-49) http://www.merrycoz.org/books/NOVELS01.HTM

jayonabike