Internet Explorer 8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
IE 8 is FAR superior to 7, but horrible compared to 9.

Personally though, I'd ditch IE altogether and use either chrome or Firefox as either knock anything MS into a cocked hat. IE is probably the worst browser ever made and makes life horrendous for those of us that develop websites.

If you can't use IE9 because you don't have vista or windows7 then you be far better off using FF or chrome as you won't be able to see any of the later CSS3 effects with IE8 as it doesn't support them. Therefore your Internet experience will suffer greatly.

WebDevNick

Couldn't agree more with MattHD, in fact I'd go as far as to say that MS is holding back progress with IE not supporting HTML5 and CSS3. Government departments and large corporates seem to be the worst for installing a version of IE and then not upgrading as newer versions are released. I recommend Firefox and Thunderbird for email.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
MS dropped a real clanger with IE8 in not including the later web technologies. Like you say Nick, many companies and even our college, which is huge, are still running XP systems meaning IE8 is as far as they go.

I believe it was that decision that opened up the floor for chrome more than any other factor. Firefox is becoming much more of a developer tool now which seems to be purposefully diverging its user base from chrome. FF11 is a dream for devs!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
The standard 'offical' browser where I work is still IE6, as some applications used don't work on anything higher.

If they're using apps that don't work on anything higher then someone needs to have a serious word!! IE6 was arguably the worst browser ever made!

i tried chrome and thought it was awful, but then i am a dinosaur.

Whats so good about Chrome or FF?

Faster, use less resources, don't try to (often wrongly) correct coding errors, support all the new web methods, interpret CSS and the DOM more predictably, are customisable to the users needs.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Chrome... pees all over IE

To be fair, so does Netscape 2 :eek:

wakou

Über Member
are customisable to the users needs.

I have recently started using Chrome after many years of FF. One thing I DON'T like about is the LACK of customisability, compared to FF

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Chrome for me,mainly for the for the various extensions.My favourite being Adblock because i don't like looking at adverts and this does an excellent job of blocking them even on Youtube.

Peteaud

Veteran
i will download chrome and give it a go if it will make the laptop better.

IBM X31 with 512k memory and Centrino 1500 processor. XP os.

Will chrome run better than IE on the above machine?

Top Bottom