Internet providers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don’t know if there is some confusion here with the terms 4g/5G router, but, my router has been carried around all of UK, plus, most of mainland Europe. It is most definately not tethered to my home address.
Sorry, I was referring at the BT style router that hooks you up to the mobile broadband network.
I never had one myself, but last time I looked into it, activation at an address was required.
Probably nowadays Vodafone and similar give you a portable one?
Sorry @Andy in Germany, the options are many!
Many setups use separate modems and routers.
Is that not a bit outdated, though, see that most hardware is wireless nowadays?
For example, I have got a tablet, a laptop, 2 mobiles and a printer, all wireless.
Forgot, just added a Cat GPS tracker ^_^
Only my ancient Garmin 200 still needed to be plugged into the laptop to upload, until I downloaded Strava on my phone, now the Garmin uploads by itself :wacko:
Anyway, well OT for poor @Andy in Germany trying to decide on an IP :hugs:
4G/5 not tethered to an address at all. Big advantage is we take it away with us in the caravan saves paying someone else for the privilege.
Sorry, probably my info was out of date.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I went with virgin 200meg, it's excellent. 30 a month for 18 months then rises to 59. I was on standard copper line for years and I only got 6mb speed which was only just enough for SD films, and useless for gaming. Once you've had high speed you'll never go back, unless you can't afford the loyalty increase

markemark

Über Member
Sorry, I was referring at the BT style router that hooks you up to the mobile broadband network.
I never had one myself, but last time I looked into it, activation at an address was required.
Probably nowadays Vodafone and similar give you a portable one?
Sorry @Andy in Germany, the options are many!

Is that not a bit outdated, though, see that most hardware is wireless nowadays?
For example, I have got a tablet, a laptop, 2 mobiles and a printer, all wireless.
Forgot, just added a Cat GPS tracker ^_^
Only my ancient Garmin 200 still needed to be plugged into the laptop to upload, until I downloaded Strava on my phone, now the Garmin uploads by itself :wacko:
Anyway, well OT for poor @Andy in Germany trying to decide on an IP :hugs:

Sorry, probably my info was out of date.

Sorry, not really. That’s not how it works. The modem connects to the internet. The router accepts wired or wireless devices so they can talk to each other and connect to the internet. It assigns ip addresses (not always but in most home setups) to each of your devices and allows data transfer between them. Your box is combined and the router part of the hardware means all your devices can connect and get online. The modem part is what connects to your isp.
In a business setting wireless doesn’t cut it and a wired Ethernet is generally used for fast and large data transfers across networks. A typical setup are multiple routers and a modem is just one of many wired and wireless devices that connects to the router so they can also connect to the internet.

Tenkaykev

Guru
As @Andy in Germany was the original poster I thought I'd mention that I'm with Zen Internet who have been an outstandingly good ISP when I've had the occasional problem. The Modem / Router they provide as standard is called a " FRITZ!box " It's a really good piece of kit, has a built in DECT phone system and yes, it is from a German company AVM.

Top Bottom