Internet providers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ask around and choose a provider who has a good track record for fixing problems when your connection dies. Budget providers tend to be pretty listless in that respect. A couple of weeks without broadband is a right pain,
I know. I've used Talk Talk and Plusnet.
This. A thousand times over.

This is in the UK, but I use Andrews and Arnold. I could save money and go for a company that is cheaper, but it's worth it for proper knowledgable technical help.

I used to use Plusnet and signed other people up to the extent where I got free broadband. Which was useless! When it went wrong, I was on the phone for hours and hours. First day with my current ISP and the broadband hadn't come on. I was dreading another call but the first person who picked up the phone took my details and said "ah, I see - I'll sort this out and send you a text when it's working". Everyone who works there is an expert.

I am sure there's a German equivalent.

I was more confused after reading these so I looked up the Hotspot/MyFi devices, which made matters as clear as mud.

Is a MyFi system basically like a mobile phone in that it connects to a tower but instead of being a stand alone it them provides data transfer for other devices in the apartment?

If that's correct, what are the advantages?

I used a mobile connection once, some years ago, and it seemed to only offer a very limited version of websites and similar. Is that still the case?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was more confused after reading these so I looked up the Hotspot/MyFi devices, which made matters as clear as mud.

Is a MyFi system basically like a mobile phone in that it connects to a tower but instead of being a stand alone it them provides data transfer for other devices in the apartment?

I used a mobile connection once, some years ago, and it seemed to only offer a very limited version of websites and similar. Is that still the case?

Yes, that sums it up nicely.

The advantage of using mobile data is that you do not need a land line.

The advantage of using a MiFi/Router over using your mobile phone as a wifi hot spot is that it gives a landline like experience, without the landline, ie, your internet connection is just "on" regardless of where your phone is (ie if you are out of the house, for example).

Mobile data connection are not generally as fast as landline connections, but, they are generally fast enough for what you want to do, at least in urban areas.

Because you are in Germany, information on UK based Mobile Networks (3, EE, Vodaphone, O2 and their piggy backs eg Virgin, Tesco, ASDA, Giffgaff, etc etc etc) is probably not applicable. I know from experience that Vodaphone have a presence in Germany, but, I have no idea if they are the "best" service in your particular area.

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
You need low end broadband so you can pretty much choose whichever you want which has a budget end. It'll be a choice of which provider seems to offer the best service and reliability based on your feeling and local reputation. I would stick to those that have human beings you can speak to on the phone and local people you know who say it is reliable.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
By "router" are we talking about the box connected to the wall or is that something else in this context?
The router, or modem as it used to be called, is a device that plugs into the wall box.
It can be a 3/4 G one that works from the mobile network, or one that works fromthe phoneor cable lines, or one that does both.
In the future when my landline (contract) expires I'm seriously considering a mobile only deal as £30p/m is cheaper than I get with Bt.
I go from Virgin to Sky every 18 months, already have both connections, so it's just a question of plugging in the relevant router.
No landline, well, with Sky it's included but I have no phone for it ^_^ currently paying £24 a month.
My mobile signal at home is very weak, I do phone calls over Wi-Fi with What'sApp.
Aye, if you get a strong mobile signal at home, this is a good option.
Normally, the contract is shorter, or monthly rolling, cheaper. Well, here in the UK anyway.
Not that I'm aware of, the limitations could come from your device.
It's like when you use your mobile to surf CC, it looks different than from your laptop.

[Lots of good info]

Sky I've used and were good, but they changed the router (big box plugged into wall for @Andy in Germany ) to one that had only 1 ethernet connector - I have a few devices close to the router I like to have hard wired so I dropped them.

Virgin were awful for me though, terrible customer service and the TV/Broadband package I bought was an error and they offered no help in changing. This was 10+ years ago now and may be better now.

BT I am paying the most for but when they cocked up my internet, their customer service and response was first rate. I don't lose any internet time as they paid for my mobile to be upgraded, and sent me a mini hub to keep connected after that

Internet's an interesting commodity to shop for, my first was Plusnet whom didn't even send a router lol but times have moved on so much there's an amazing choice out there.

Thanks again for the patient and detailed replies.

Apart from not having a landline, which I can see reduces cost; what are the advantages with MyFi? I'm guessing I can carry it with me in Germany so I'd have my own hotspot at work or when visiting family...

I go from Virgin to Sky every 18 months, already have both connections, so it's just a question of plugging in the relevant router.
No landline, well, with Sky it's included but I have no phone for it ^_^ currently paying £24 a month.
My mobile signal at home is very weak, I do phone calls over Wi-Fi with What'sApp.

The "minimum of two years" thing seems common here: German telephone companies all too often see customers as a sort of cash machine to be fleeced.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
what are the advantages with MyFi? I'm guessing I can carry it with me in Germany so I'd have my own hotspot at work or when visiting family...
Well, here we usually hook up to friends/family/workplace/shopping centre/bus/train Wi-Fi ^_^
There's a public Wi-Fi round every corner, just be aware they are not secure.
I don't know in Germany, but here you would not be able to take the 4/5G router (MyFi) with you, because it's activated by the provider at your fixed address. It's also not really suitable to be carried around like a mobile, a bit too big imo.
However, if you have a 4/5G router, here some providers give your mobile devices unlimited data and unlimited access to their secure network, just like you were using the Wi-Fi at home. Of course, a gazillion conditions apply ^_^

The "minimum of two years" thing seems common here: German telephone companies all too often see customers as a sort of cash machine to be fleeced.
Same here: generally you get a better price if you sign up for 24 months.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Well, here we usually hook up to friends/family/workplace/shopping centre/bus/train Wi-Fi ^_^
I don't know in Germany, but here you would not be able to take the 4/5G router (MyFi) with you, because it's activated by the provider at your fixed address. It's also not really suitable to be carried around like a mobile, a bit too big imo.
However, if you have a 4/5G router, here some providers give your mobile devices unlimited data and unlimited access to their secure network, just like you were using the Wi-Fi at home. Of course, a gazillion conditions apply ^_^

I don’t know if there is some confusion here with the terms 4g/5G router, but, my router has been carried around all of UK, plus, most of mainland Europe. It is most definately not tethered to my home address.

markemark

Über Member
The router, or modem as it used to be called, is a device that plugs into the wall box.
Not quite. Most home devices are a modem and router combined but people call it a router. The modem part connects to the internet. The router part allows multiple devices to connect to it. Many setups use separate modems and routers.
In this scenario and combined router and modem is best. People generally call this a router but these are not interchangeable things that have just changed their name.

OldShep

Über Member

4G/5 not tethered to an address at all. Big advantage is we take it away with us in the caravan saves paying someone else for the privilege.

The one I had was from EE, 4g only giving around 15Mps, I streamed 1080p TV no problem.

Its definitely portable, I hope the attached picture gives a sense of scale but I couldn't find one next to a banana 🍌

The only issue I had with it was I wasn't able to setup portforwarding/peekholes for my Xbox, the console did report some errors on the connection but in the end seemed to work fine.

I didn't realise either it had a battery until I was sending it back, otherwise I'd have happily carried it around with me .

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi-mini-2020/details

Attachments

• all-items-included-with-the-ee-mifi-device-min-768x581.jpg
    all-items-included-with-the-ee-mifi-device-min-768x581.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom