Internet techy help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
avast is good

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We got caught by Zone Alarm too... hubby worked it out for himself, but figures there must be alot of ZA customers who don't know why they can't get on the internet ... certainly I didn't managed to work out what was wrong .. it was beyond me.

domtyler

Über Member
How come you guys use software firewalls? Are you connecting your PC's to the internet directly using an ADSL/USB modem or some such method?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's too techy for me... how would I know... we have box that I try switching on and off when the internet doesn't work... and I remember the word router... but I'm sure I also remember the word wireless.... and that we have changed the password that came with something but I don't know what to or what it is...:biggrin: And that we have a non standard PC set up where things aren't on the C drive ... and the side is permenantly off one of the computers....

Would you like me to install your computer and hook it up to the internet with my fine credentials?:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
summerdays said:
That's too techy for me... how would I know... we have box that I try switching on and off when the internet doesn't work... and I remember the word router... but I'm sure I also remember the word wireless.... and that we have changed the password that came with something but I don't know what to or what it is...:biggrin: And that we have a non standard PC set up where things aren't on the C drive ... and the side is permenantly off one of the computers....

Would you like me to install your computer and hook it up to the internet with my fine credentials?:biggrin:

Sounds like you do have a stand alone router then, so I am wondering why you would bother with Zone Alarm?

Thanks for your kind offer to come and sort out my set up at home but I think I'll take a rain check if it's all the same! :evil: Probably couldn't afford your rates anyway!!

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
Sounds like you do have a stand alone router then, so I am wondering why you would bother with Zone Alarm?

For non-techy Windows users the answer often comes down to 'fear' and 'lack of technical understanding'. Nothing much wrong with that, better safe than sorry I suppose.

But as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong - I've never used it!) ZoneAlarm is an IDS as well, so it may have a use beyond that of a software firewall.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hubby is very techie ... all machines are maintained, sworn at, taken apart and upgraded etc by him... so it will be something to do with our internal network?

domtyler

Über Member
Carwash said:
For non-techy Windows users the answer often comes down to 'fear' and 'lack of technical understanding'. Nothing much wrong with that, better safe than sorry I suppose.

But as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong - I've never used it!) ZoneAlarm is an IDS as well, so it may have a use beyond that of a software firewall.

Ah, you've got your proper avatar back, much better!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a netgear router with it's own firewall, ZA has an easy job now, but I've got the suite - spam, virus etc and it's fine. ZA as a firewall is very secure, but it can be a bit of a pig if you aren't techy. Don't forget ZA monitors programmes, so can stop things going out. The router will only stop traffic coming in.

ZA's only on my main PC, that's where photos and stuff are stored, the laptop and kids PC just have the windows firewall with AVG free for anti virus.

Before I install any MS update, I create a restore point...just in case. With this hicup, it was best to let MS bugger things up, then patch ZA, not how I did it.

Whilst at it, I installed the new SP3 for XP...it's supposed to be a little bit quicker.

Top Bottom