Internet techy help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Hi, got to keep it short, using PSP to type. The main PC isnt receiving internet, this through our router. All cables in right on modem and router. Unplugged then plugged back in modem and router. Still no. Any ideas? Please :thumbsup:

domtyler

Über Member
Joe, can you make a connection to your router? Does it have any diagnostic utilities? What model is it? Who is your ISP? Maybe they have a problem? Are all lights on on the modem/router? Have you turned everything off for a minute or two and then back on again?

I had a similar problem yesterday. Computer working fine one minute then unable to connect to internet using either AOL or IE.

Turned out that Zone Alarm firewall had managed to reset its security level to HIGH. I reset this to medium and all was fine again.

So it may be a firewall problem.

Van Nick

Joe24 said:
Hi, got to keep it short, using PSP to type. The main PC isnt receiving internet, this through our router. All cables in right on modem and router. Unplugged then plugged back in modem and router. Still no. Any ideas? Please :thumbsup:

Really silly question, but it happened to a friend of my the other day. Has the "reset" button at the back of the router been pressed and wiped all of the configuration data ?

Have you tried using another microfilter ?

Can you hear any interference on your phone line ?

Try a USB connection instead of Ethernet or vice versa

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Well your ISP would have to be fine for you to access this site with your PSP. As has been said, could be a firewall issue (router reset would also affect the PSPs access I would think).

What is the PC doing? Any error message or is it just a "Page cannot be found" type error?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Alan Frame said:
I had a similar problem yesterday. Computer working fine one minute then unable to connect to internet using either AOL or IE.

Turned out that Zone Alarm firewall had managed to reset its security level to HIGH. I reset this to medium and all was fine again.

So it may be a firewall problem.

You are bloody amazing. Zone Alarms must of had something wrong, and mine was also set on high aswell.;)
All sorted now:biggrin::biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apropos of nothing at all, Joe, have you seen Moonlight's avatar. I think he may take over from you as the housewives darling!

Joe24 said:
You are bloody amazing. Zone Alarms must of had something wrong, and mine was also set on high aswell.;)
All sorted now:biggrin::biggrin:

I only wish it hadn't taken me over two hours of trying various things to get it sorted out in the first place !:biggrin:
Glad it sorted your problem out.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

rich p said:
Apropos of nothing at all, Joe, have you seen Moonlight's avatar. I think he may take over from you as the housewives darling!

Who is this Moonlight? He has no chance of taking over:becool:. If it comes to it, a race will be in order:evil:
;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chears for the heads up on this error - I've got the ZA Suite, so might need to download the new version, before I apply the patch - don't set your patches to automatically install....

fossyant

Tip, download new ZA release, but don't install...get microsoft update and install, then install the ZA new release.

Don't, download the new ZA and install it without the fix already installed, cos it will bugger the PC up - mine ran at 100 % couldn't do anything. Had to un install ZA, reboot, reinstall then restore my ZA settings (had backed them up before doing anything)...what an arse !

peanut

zone alarm have become unusable for me. I have always sworn by it but it is becoming too intrusive.
Even with the updates turned off its a pain. My PC slowed down so much the other day I switched ZA off. The speed instantly recovered and the CPU useage went down to nil.
If you do a ctrl alt del and check which processes are running you'll probably find several resource hogging processes which can be stopped

fossyant

That was my problem - might be looking for another solution at the end of the license this year !

Had a few glitches on earlier releases - buggered up some web sites like ebay - very slow....

Must say, ZA's spam filter is good !

Top Bottom