IT help, please - internet access to banking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi all
I use internet banking (Co-operative Bank, if it makes any difference). Until yesterday afternoon I had no problem, then suddenly I could not get into their website. No error message, just nothing (blank screen), and no little 'loading' wheel going around.
I did the usual clearing caches, restarting the computer, no help. (It's running Windows 11)
Downloaded Opera and tried on that. Still didn't work. So not a matter of Chrome caches etc.
Tried on my Macbook - no luck. Tried on the Mac using a widget that connects to data, not the internet. No help. So not a problem specific to my PC.

However I can access the bank's website using Chrome on my phone (using the same house wifi). My partner can also access it via his work computer (which will have routed the request - if that's the right word - through his company's system, so he effectively wasn't using the house wifi. Something to do with our IP address? But in that case, why does the phone work? (It will become apparent that I don't understand the 'under the bonnet' aspects of the web very well!)

Then I loaded Avast, and clicked 'yes' to their 'secure browser'. It worked on that!

As I can access the bank via Avast or my phone, it's not an urgent problem. But I would like to get to the bottom of it! I know this is a cycle forum, but in the past it's been the best place for sorting out faffy problems of this nature!

Cheers
Spinney

byegad

Legendary Member
If you type 'Coop bank down' into google it comes up as other users are experiencing issues. So looks like it may be them, not you.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Interesting, thank you! I did check that when I first found the problem, and it wasn't showing anything. It didn't occur to me to check it again!
I'll wait and see.
(Still puzzling why it works for one browser and not for others).

Top Bottom