Interrupt/cross levers on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to get a road bike to add to my tourer and hardtail to use for club outings and fast day rides. I am test riding various bikes at local shops and courtesy of Wiggle's 30 day test ride.

It's been many years since I rode a 'racer' and when I did it had 'safety' brake levers and the gear changers were on the downtube. How things have changed. I never did find safety levers particularly safe but must admit I am finding it a little unnatural to be having to go onto the drops in order to brake.

I wonder does anyone remember these levers or even still use them? Has everyone here converted to integrated shifters and brakes? I've also heard about 'interrupt' or 'cross' levers which can be added to the brake cable and sit on the tops (pic below). Would it be sacrilege to add these to a carbon road bike? Will i just get used to standard road brakes? Look forward to answers.

islabars.jpg

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You don't have to go into the drops to brake. You can brake from the hoods.

Norm

I've got a Tricross on which they are fitted as standard. Well, I say fitted as standard but I think that the bikes are boxed up without them and it's down you the LBS as ask the purchaser whether or not they want them fitted.

I said that I wanted them fitted and I absolutely love them, I can get enough power in them to lock a tyre but they are perfectly positioned, IMO, to modulate speed from the tops when on a down hill or when riding in heavy traffic.

I then picked up another set which someone didn't want and retro-fitted them to my Secteur. I don't care what peeps think, they are immensely useful. :thumbsup:

siadwell

Guru
I can but am not able to apply much force. I think I might have the bars angled down to much. I will adjust and try again.

As well as this, you might be able to achieve better braking by adding shims to the levers themselves (my Secteur's Shimano levers came with 4 and 8 degree shims) to adjust how much you have to squeeze them, or by adjusting the cable at the brake itself.

It also might be worth changing the pads - the stock pads on my bike just didn't feel as though they had any "bite" but new pads feel more positive (but only one outing with them so far).

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Most people have their bikes sized and set up so that the hoods are the normal, default, comfy riding position. The brakes are then covered most of the time, and the gears too if you have STIs or ergos.

I've not used 'cross' levers in anger, but I've occasionally ridden bikes that had them; they seemed fine to me. Mrs Uncle Phil's tourer used to have them, but they got in the way of a handlebar bag and she never used them anyway, so we removed them; she doesn't miss them.

However, they're available to buy if you're interested...

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have (one) cross lever on my tourer, I am in the process of removing both to see how I get on and how much space I have to mount accessories. I bought a pair of barrel adjusters that sit where the levers were so I can still adjust the brakes without undoing the pinch bolt. Good in theory but the brake cable frayed as soon as I undid the bolt so I am without a rear brake for the remainder of the week!
ohmy.gif

I am thinking of keeping the right (front) lever on for convenience and using the free space on the left to put one of these on to fit some accessories. My Magicshine and airzound should fit nicely side by side on it, I might need to find extra space for a computer though. It is the only one I can find that will fit the oversized central part of my bars. Anyone had one of these that give a recommendation.

Top Bottom