Intimidated by traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I sympathise - after a tumble, I've got a cattle grid phobia I can't shift...

All the suggestions are good - also, have you thought about getting a mirror? They don't replace looking over your shoulder, or listening carefully, but they can help you to be ultra aware of what's behind you. I have two on my recumbent trike (it's much harder to look behind on a recumbent) and it's so easy to glance into them, just as when I drive. You have less chance of being surprised by how a car approaches and passes you.

Mark_Robson

I'm still getting over a fractured clavicle, caused by taking a tumble into a kerb and when I recovered enough to start cycling again I was nervous to say the least.
You just have to build up your confidence gradually and at a pace that suits you and in time your confidence will return.
Try not to think of the risks when cycling, rather try and think of why you enjoy it.

OP
OP
KevP

KevP

Thanks for all your supportive replies guys, I know I'm not alone but its always nice reading that, I will try to hook up with a local group and find support, and I'm sure with time I'll be back on top form, mentally as well as physically.

Thanks again, a wonderful place to be here.

alci4

KevP said:
Hi all

Before Christmas I was knocked off my bike twice in two days, the second time bad enough to trash my bike and break my leg.
The trouble now is that, I admit with some trepidation, that I am too scared to go out for a decent ride.
Its not easy for me to admit this as I am quite a blokey bloke who isn't the timid type but I have to admit I have lost my bottle big time road riding.
I never really did alot of road work, mainly off road which I find little interest in now, but I was really starting to enjoy road riding and the way the miles seemed to melt away.
I have tried everything since I started again in April, slow and short local rides have me so shaky I'm a danger to other road users, I cannot shift this fear of being hit from behind no matter how much I try. I can walk on the road, and even in the direction of traffic (not my usual technique for walking) and this is fine, but atop a bike I am in a mess.

Can anyone sympathise and/or share any techniques with me?
I really want to get back on road.

Ps I have tried off road and I am pretty much fine, but I dont want to off road! Thats why I took up the road.

i feel for you m8

being a fairly new cyclist myself cant offer you much good advice like the above posts

i am the same as you, a blokey bloke, but i dont think most of use can square up to a ton of metal and give it large with total confidence

hope you get your confidence back but dont feel embarresed about not wanting to get killed, i think most people are in the same boat m8 (although there are a few cyclists you see on the road that make you wonder)

best of luck

shrew

agree with battered, i got hit on my racer by a Saxo going about 65mph, fortunanty i wrote off the saxo.. but aye, i gained quite a number of injuries and a general fear of going back on the A1,

im ordering my new bike this week and plan to give it a go,Wear Yellow, make yourself easier to see, it will help your confidance, look forward and never back ) and just trust that its not going to happen again.

everyone called me crazy for commuting on the A1 on a pushbike but in 3 years i got hit once and it was cold and wet to be fair, odds are youll go the rest of your days without being hit again.

GL bud, and if your anywhere near Bedford itself ( im in St Neots) then give me a shout and we could meet up for a ride sometime.

Top Bottom