Intrigued...flintcatchers ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Goes over the tyre - close in, so that it literally catches & lifts out flints/stones etc., before a puncture is caused. Many's an old boy cycling the lanes of Norfolk who has flintcatchers on his wheels..

Here you go...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/1855531204/

andygates

Very retro - modern tyres are much tougher. And aren't tubs (fixing tubs being either expensive or a total bear). I haven't seen one on the road since the late 80's!

Blue

Legendary Member
"A formerly popular device called a "tire saver" or "flint snatcher" used a loosely spring piece of wire (generally made from a bicycle spoke) to constantly brush the tire tread in hope of dislodging glass slivers and the like before they could penetrate all the way to the inner tube.
These are of dubious value in practice, but may be of help in backward areas where throwaway beverage bottles are still legal, and glass slivers are a major problem."

That's what the late Sheldon had to say about these devices - he was obviously familiar with Norfolk :biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Well, you learn something new everyday ;)

I'm genuinely surprised anyone would buy them nowadays...perhaps i'll look a little more carefully next time i'm across Norfolk way :biggrin:

haven't seen those since the 70's!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
wafflycat said:
Too right. The road surfaces of Norfolk lanes can be lethal to tyres - with all the flints washed off the adjacent fields!

Can vouch for that...one rainy day in Norfolk, 4 Punctures...

I used to have 'em when I commuted in London in the early '80s. When the first Kevlar tyres came-in* I ditched them, they are a bit noisy...but sooo retro.
Stick-em on your urbane fixie for stylee points!

*(anybody remember Nutrack Nomads...they were sluggish but a revalation P-wise...my Turbo-mule fixie still sports a very perished pair)

wafflycat

So far, FF, I'm finding Schwalbe Marathons to be the best tyres for Norfolk lanes. I rarely ever find myself the subject of a visit from SheWhoMustNotBeNamed when my steed has Schwalbe Marathons on. I even use them on the 'bent.

So, now I've said that, what's the odds I'm going to have a least one vist during the course of today when I'm out & about the lanes in an hour...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bromptonaut said:
Which reminds me.......

What happened to those multicoloured circular "bottle brushes" that sat on the outside of the hub nad kept it clean?

Now that IS a good question!

(Thanks for the tyre info Waffly).

wafflycat

You're welcome FF. Cycled some *appalling* roads today, stones, flints, glass, wood shards, branches, twigs, potholes.. and the Schwalbe Marathons handled them beautifully.

Top Bottom