Intro - new member from Cincinnati

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

As my username suggests, I'm a pretty casual rider, generally 30-50 miles a week mostly on weekends. We've got a pretty great local dedicated bike trail that runs over 70 miles without many crossings of busy roads, so that's what got me back on my bike after a lot of years doing very little riding. Well, that and the fact the kids grew up and left me with some actual free time. ^_^

My bike-related budget's pretty low since I'm not all that dedicated, so I watched local ads carefully and slowly incremented my way up from bike to bike, starting from a 70's or 80's Schwinn. I found this place while internet searching for more info about an older bike I picked up last year and have been riding ever since - a Falcon road bike out of England. I saw that there was an active thread dedicated to Falcon bikes here, so now that I've introduced myself I'm gonna pop in and see what I can learn about mine.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Loads of info here. Enjoy.

OP
OP
C
Why the low budget? Unless you are actually financially restricted then spend whatever you can afford to enjoy the hobby.

I don't think anyone ever regretted buying a good bike that they enjoy using?

First, thanks for the welcome and conversational engagement.

Couple reasons for the low budget. One is simply habit due to several decades of restricted finances.

The second is somewhat related -- the spending budget is essentially a zero-sum game, so "opportunity cost" figures into it too. The more I spend on one thing, the less I have for other things. So for now at least, while I enjoy riding my bike well enough, I also enjoy other things well enough not to want to displace them. That could change, but it hasn't yet.

I very easily *could* see myself regretting an expensive bike purchase if I didn't think I was getting my money's worth from it. And a lot of the details and fine points that make expensive bikes worthwhile for dedicated riders would be lost on me. Seems like it'd be a waste to spend a lot to get things that I won't really appreciate and may not even notice.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Greetings and welcome old chap. The older and more eccentric you are the better you'll fit in!

no wonder you fit right in here old boy :hello:

Top Bottom