Introduction/Looking For Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Porter

Good evening,

I've just found this forum as I was browsing the internet looking for a decent supplier for vintage lights and I found nothing. After reading through various threads on here it became clear you guys know far more than I could ever dream of knowing about the classic folding bikes.

I recently bought a 1975 Raleigh Folding R20. I must start by saying I love it. I cycle every day of my life and have done for most of my adult life, I don't drive and have no intention to change that. After riding a classic Dutchie for about 5 years I was used to a 'sit up in bed' position and loved the posture it gave and view of the road ahead too. After having to scrap after many repairs I was resigned to an almost embarrassing and most certainly miserable GIANT 10 speed mountain bike. I had no funds and no other options. I've never been so sad on a bicycle.

Enter the R20, I picked it up locally at a reasonable price of free to a good home and I rode it home with the biggest smile I'd had in a long time. It has the chrome mudguards, white/chrome pedals and was in great condition. Plus the bonus for me of being a single speed. In my history of cycling it's always been the gears that have ended up being an issue, cause me no end of grief for some reason. Original black and white two tone tyres are on still too. I replaced the seat with a comfier modern equivalent and took off the only thing I didn't like which was the handlebar grips, an awful white plastic. I replaced with some others I had with a much nicer feel.

I've used it every day for a couple of months now and I'm convinced I'll never ride any other bike again. Now, on to my issue, It has the front light bracket still on the front but no light. I have put a modern light on the handlebars which is fine. It's fine but it's not right, I want one that slots on to that thing, it's screaming out for it. The problem is that I can't seem to find a suitable one anywhere. Do you fine folks have any ideas of where i might find one or any good websites to try for them?

No worries if not, to be honest it's just good to know I'm not the only one who's enjoying this particular bike. Thought I was maybe on my own on this one. Thanks very much for any advice offered.

Last edited:

Brommyboy

Über Member
I fear you may have to look for a vintage fair for obsolete parts! A site like this may help. too http://www.vintagecyclecomponents.co.uk/
or http://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Hi James, and welcome to the forum.
Since this section is devoted to folding bikes, and you have a more general request, it may be worthwhile repeating it (or a cut-down version!) in the Classic and Vintage section. Alternatively, see whether there's a cycle jumble in your area - there's no guarantee there'll be any old lights, but it may be worth a look.

This one isn't quite as old as what you're looking for; I'd guess it's about 20 years old, at least that's about the last time I used it. I found it while tidying the outhouse a few weeks back, and amazingly the batteries still had enough oomph to provide some light!
DSCN0729.JPG

DSCN0730.JPG

Be aware that some older lights may use batteries which are very hard, or impossible, to find. If you're handy with electronics it might be possible to adapt an old light to use a powerful and efficient led instead of an inefficient and greedy incandescent bulb.

Top Bottom