Introvert moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's a bit of a false dichotomy.
You are ignoring Omnivert and Ambivert personalities.
Look them up.......
ooh, I'm an onmivert :smile: quite shy, but regularly speak to large groups of people, and I love doing it :smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Same here. I know my job very well and have no problems working alone or with others in the office pre-covid. But I was asked to stand in for my manager a while ago in front of the Executive team (zoom call). I started stuttering and talking jibberish for most of it, and couldn't answer any questions properly, I must have looked like I'd been in the job 11 minutes not 11 years. When the call was over, I was a sweaty anxious mess.

Not sure if it's the same but I've always been shy?
As a teenager I envied a mate who'd walk into a room filled with people and start chatting away, same with girls! I'd always hang back and rather disliked these gatherings.
I spoke about this to him and about how I envied his confidence. He surprised me by telling me he felt exactly the same but said to himself 'sod it' and made himself talk to people.
I was very sceptical but tried it and found it worked. Once you've broken the fear of meeting people you discover we're all the same.
I'm still rather shy but I've never had a problem meeting girls (past tense) and held down responsible jobs that meant talking to large groups of people.

It's a bit of a false dichotomy.
You are ignoring Omnivert and Ambivert personalities.
Look them up.......

I'm aware of these classifications, but according to the various tests I did in college I'm generally hovering about 60% ish introvert and off the scale for sensory processing sensitivity.

As far as anyone can work out, introvert's brains process everything more which means it is harder to react in a busy or unfamiliar environment but when we're in a familiar environment we can look like extroverts. This explains why I'm the way I am with my team in a familiar and well defined situation and why like others here I can speak in front of large numbers of people and I've even hosted oral storytelling evenings: if I know what I'm doing and feel prepared I can do a great deal that looks "extroverted".

The Sensory Processing Sensitivity knocks this out of the park because I tend to get overwhelmed by all the information coming in. On the other hand this is very handy when working out how team members are doing without asking.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the same but I've always been shy?
As a teenager I envied a mate who'd walk into a room filled with people and start chatting away, same with girls! I'd always hang back and rather disliked these gatherings.
I spoke about this to him and about how I envied his confidence. He surprised me by telling me he felt exactly the same but said to himself 'sod it' and made himself talk to people.
I was very sceptical but tried it and found it worked. Once you've broken the fear of meeting people you discover we're all the same.
I'm still rather shy but I've never had a problem meeting girls (past tense) and held down responsible jobs that meant talking to large groups of people.

The definition that I find rings true is that shyness tends to be connected with a fear of rejection, whereas introversion refers to the way people process information. I often find I get tired and lost quickly in a conversation and feel like my brain is full of porridge. Other people refer to their "social battery" running down faster. I'm not exactly afraid of meeting people, but I'll take my time and evaluate: interaction takes a lot of effort and can be exhausting so I want to be sure it's worth it.

Kryton521

Über Member
I think I'm slightly introverted as a result of being slightly autistic. I have always felt to be the outsider looking in. Acutely aware of it when at parties, [where I don't want to be!]. I notice when tired or stressed the autism shows itself as I'm unable to look at people.

Not sure this is the same as others but there you go!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm OK one-to-one or a group working together but put me out in front of people and ask me to do a presentation / speech where they are all looking at me and I hate it. I can do it because I've had to but not a fun or enjoyable part of the job.

I've played in bands for years, with audiences from tens to 6000. Sit me in a front room with a guitar and ask me to play for, say, the family...
I'd not manage it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Interesting that there are so many ways of being a quiet person. Thanks for starting this @Andy in Germany .

I enjoy presenting to large groups in a formal situation, some limited time with individuals and time alone. In each of these situations I get a limited sensory input, which I can deal with.

Put me in a party situation or a busy bar and I just want to/have to run.

I used to try to be the person I thought I was expected to be, but gave that up long ago - that was when depression ceased to be part of my life.

Top Bottom